Need A Reason

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by InMyWay, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InMyWay

InMyWay Active Member

ok, I just need someone to give me a reason not to blow my head off tonight after everyone falls asleep. The last few weeks have been really bad where I live, compounded with my other problems, I'm just too depressed and frustrated to stay alive. I know mother's day is tomorrow, but even that doesn't seem like a big enough deal to keep living. I guess my question is, does anyone have any advice about how to get through difficult times?
  2. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Im sure theres a reason to live hidden in the mess somewhere..Just keep searching for it..
  3. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

Because tommorow or the day after their will be at least a few minutes, if not more, when you will be glad you didn't, even if not for your own benefit.
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

my best advice for difficult times is to make a promise to yourself that right this moment, no matter how bad it feels, you will not hurt yourself. by making the decision to stay, right now, you are not gonna worry about the future, or relive the past. you are only going to stay 100% safe at this very moment.

the other things you probably know; place as many obstacles as you can between you and your method (if it's pills, get rid of them; if it's a gun give the gun to one friend and the bullets to another. you get the idea). anythign to slow down your impulses.

stay off alcohol - again, it makes suicide tempting. use every single support you have. sleep on a friend's couch if you can. call the hotline. go to the ER. anything to stay safe until the desire to live starts to return. and it will, one day.

for now, as everything swirls about, just make your home as safe as possible. will you do that?
  5. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I think that to find a reason to live, you should just try to quiet the reasons that tell you not to live, If there was a reason to live it would be there, you would find it. I mean, it might take some contemplation on living and to how you affect the world. Maybe you should give yourself credit for living in this insane world.
    I think that it's a fight, to keep ourselves alive and happy. I have struggled with depression and delusions, and I still keep finding strength. The more I tell myself that there is a reason to live, the more I fight the lies and find meaning to my life the more that I know that I do have a purpose. There are a lot of reasons, you need to enjoy your life. Sometimes it helps to try and escape the things that make us the way we feel by drawing inspiration from something entirely different and new.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I know how you feel. The only advice I have is something my therapist taught me. You need to bank the positive things that happen to you, that way when you get down you can think back and use one of those positives.
    I'll give you an example: My dad and myself were not on speaking terms. My therapist suggested that I mend those pains. My dad isn't going to be around much longer and I had to settle these things between us. The thing that hurt the worst was him telling me I should right my daughter off, that she will never get herself together. He also didn't want anything to do with my granddaughter because she is half black. Ibrought them down two christmas's ago and dad finally got to meet his great granddaughter. She is very respectful, says yes mam and yessir. She is very witty. And I love her very much.
  7. InMyWay

InMyWay Active Member

Thanks everyone. What you guys said has really helped a lot with this weekend.
  8. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Just try to see yourself happy in the future. If you can do that, live and wait for that day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.