Need a sleep med

I started seroquel to help me sleep and have experienced the dreaded weight gain and excessive hunger. Besides Ambien and Trazadone, any other meds out there that could help me sleep?

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
A lot of people use melatonin- which in US can buy over the counter or at place like GNC that sell supplements. Was actually "prescribed" for my teen daughter as a sleep aid by her psychiatrist and she says helps.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You could try Dalmane or Temazepam which are benzodiazepine classed sleeping tablets, they can be addictive though so be careful.

Seroquel does in fact cause weight gain, I gained weight from it (among other meds) as well. There are other medicines in the anti psychotic range that cause drowsiness and aid sleeping easier such as zyprexa. I am on it and it usually works wonders but it does give you an appetite.

You could try promethazine (phenergan) which someone suggested above, it is an anti histamine but quite sedating. Another similar one would be piriton.

Benzodiazepines such as xanax, valium, ativan, bromazepam, clonazepam etc.. could relax you enough into a comfortable sleep as well but again be cautious, they are addictive.

There are plenty of options but I would suggest you talk to your doctor before taking literally anything :)

Wishing you the best of luck.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
I use melatonin, there are different strengths from 3mg up to 10mg. They come in gummies, quick dissolve or regular tablets. You can buy them in the vitamin section of any market or drug store. I like them because they're not chemicals and for me they work very well.

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've got a 15yr old son (I know you have a 16yr old daughter). Phenergan always reminds me of the go-to for getting the little ones off to sleep. I didn't even realize it was for adults too. There you go, huh? Lol.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I've got a 15yr old son (I know you have a 16yr old daughter). Phenergan always reminds me of the go-to for getting the little ones off to sleep. I didn't even realize it was for adults too. There you go, huh? Lol.
Oh it’s pretty strong if you get the 25mg tablets. The only problem I’ve had with it is it sometimes gives me bad restless legs. Not always though, so I don’t know what the go is with that.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
One of the options available to you is to take one of meds from the hypnotic class of drugs such as benzodiazepines or the Z-drugs which have already been mentioned. However, they should only really be use for a short term basis only as they can cause tolerance ad depenedance. The antihistamine promethazine is another option although care should be taken due to its antimuscarinic effects which could cause complications if you happen to suffer from glacauoma or urinary retention.
As already mentioned by others here, mirtazepine is another option, as are other meds used for the treatment of mental health issues.
However, due to side effects, potential drug interactions with any current meds you may be on or exacerbation of any current co-morbidities, naturally it would be best for your doctor to establish what would be the most appropriate one for you especially from a safety point of view.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
God help me, I take this for nausea when I can afford to lose 199 hours to being in a coma. It's terrible! Well, it's great for sleep but bad if you need to sleep light. Thing is, sometimes I can stay awake on it, SOMETIMES, but then any time I do fall asleep I'm like dead asleep. Can't wake up, conked out like I've been on IV meds or something. Its crazy.

The wife, on the other hand, she can take them all day long.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00