Need advice about my 14 yr old daughter :(

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by kristy1970, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristy1970

kristy1970 Active Member

My 14 yr old daughter just started seeing a therapist / psychologist (can prescribe meds). Yesterday was her 2nd visit. The first visit they put her on the lowest dose of Zoloft in the morning and a low dose of some other med at night for anxiety and to help her sleep. Yesterday, she started crying and I offered to step out to give her some privacy so she would be completely honest with her Dr. It took forever!!!! When they pulled me back in, she was having a panic attack. Dr. told me she was "passive suicidal" ??? She doesn't want to hurt herself, but she wishes she would go to sleep and never wake up again :( AND she told me she hates stupid people, they aggravate her and she wants to just grab them by the head and bash their head against the wall :ambivalence: WTF? I wonder if I should sleep with my door locked and one eye open. She has NEVER before been violent, so I'm worried sick. She also finally admitted that she had not been sleeping (even with the new meds) but about 3 to 4 hours a night and keeps waking up having panick attacks . She is now going every week. After all that drama yesterday afternoon... this morning she wakes up happy, singing, bouncing around the house... gave me a big hug and a kiss and said "it's going to be a great day" again... WTF? I wonder if she could be bi-polar like me and most of the rest of my crazy azz family. PLEASE help as I'm really stuggling with trying to help her the best I can. :sigh::lost::please:
  2. Rainfall

Rainfall Well-Known Member

My gf is the same. She gets ultra-violent towards others, but then has days when shes completely happy. She's also a passive suicidist.

It's unlikely she's bipolar, that's not as common a condition as you may think, it is more likely she has become extremely hormonal, and it's just part of being a teenager. My gf's about the same age, so I'm guessing the cause would be the same. I hope this helps.

My gf took medication to calm the hormones, and she's doing alright now, but she was pushed to the edge a few times...just be there for her, and you'll have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You can help by keeping a record of her moods ok and then give that record to her therapist watch her closely as the medicaiton can cause this sudden upward energy as well You are doing a great job helping her hun YOU have got her professional help she will need to get well hugs
  4. kristy1970

kristy1970 Active Member

5. eveliina

eveliina New Member

The happy mood might have been brought on by feeling really releived - I mean, considering she obviously got a lot off her chest with the Dr yesterday.
    And TotalEclipse's idea of the mood diary is a good. It's something I used to do. I'd rate my day out of 10 and wrote little traffic-light colour-coded notes to go with it :)
  6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

agree with TE...I hope the meds help her to settle down
    must be stressful for you :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.