Need advice from people who lived on the street

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by just.me, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just.me

just.me Account Closed

Hey
    In about 2 weeks or so I'm gonna loose my house as i am in dept that i cant pay
    i cant work due to my anxiety issues
    and as far as the government consider it, i am apparently NOT disabled
    so i don't get any disability or anything

So in 2 weeks ill find myself standing in the middle of the street
    with a bag in one hand and 50$ in my other hand
    no place to go (no relatives, no friends) and no income

I need advice on what a homeless person can do and should do
    and what should i avoid?
    where are the best places to spend the night? etc...

2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hey.. do u have ANY1 u could stay with? even if u havent spoken 2 them for a while.. or had an argument.. what ever it is.. u should try and get in2 contact with them.. because once u have lived 'on the streets' for a while - even a week.. its v hard 2 get back in2 being housed..

if the worst happens and u are made homeless.. there are ppl that can help..
    im guessing u are in the u.s? i dont know much about it there.. but here in england there are homeless shelters.. and churches/voluntary organisations that run soup kitchens.. and lunchtime meals.. im sure they will have something simular there..
    im guessing u wont have the internet.. so if i was u i would do some research online now and write down all the numbers/contacts/addresses of these places so if the time comes u will have them available..
    ur 1st priority should be 2 get shelter.. some homless places have waiting lists.. so if u can i would inquire about that now also..
    put ur belongings in some sort of storage.. and if u cant get a place at the shelter u can sleep in there..
    few suggestions.. sorry if this doesnt help.. wish u all the best x

3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

go to a shelter.In fact contact them now while you can look them up online.Just find out which shelters take in who and what their policies are.Then you will feel more prepared when you have to vacate your apartment.Check surrounding towns too...you have a lot of work to do.
    Have you been given an eviction notice already or do you just feel you will have to leave because of debt?If you do not have an eviction notice yet,then try to contact your landlord and explain the situation and maybe get an extension of time to stay there until you can arrange another place to stay.Have you told your doctor?Have you considered work that limits exposure to other people?Some security jobs allow you to work alone,for instance...there are many jobs that limit exposure to the public and make life easier for you if you suffer from severe anxiety.If you have a good driving record,driving is a great job.(I have anxiety too pretty bad and wish I could geta job driving!).
    good luck,and let us know how your doing.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Look up support groups in your area and see what can be done for you. Church groups homeless shelters. Get a night job where you don't have to deal with people much stocking shelves anything is better than living on the streets. Definitetly call dr and let him know whats happening call crisis line they will have some options for you. If you are suicidal hospital stay then social worker will help you get a place when discharged can't discharge you to the streets right. take care.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

If you go the homeless shelter route get there early because the beds fill up quick..I agree with violet that if your suicidal go to the ER and tell them that you are ready to commit because you are loosing everything.. They will admit you to the phsyc ward for evaluation.. They can help you find housing because they won't dischatge you to the streets..Do you have a day labor organization where you live.. You work all day and at the end of the day they pay you..Just some food for thought.. I hope some of this helps..

6. Polar

Polar Account Closed

Hi just.me,

I'm sorry. I know what you're going through must be very awful.

My main suggestion is to go to the ER and then they can assess you and you can get treatment and shelter. They can then also advise you possibly of networks in the area and where you could go. They must see many cases of people becoming homeless and social workers will have contacts too.

Church groups and shelters are also another option but I would try the hospital first. There you can get treated and advice on where the best places are to sleep for people in situations like yours.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Polar

7. just.me

just.me Account Closed

Thank you all
    thing is that i cant look for or pre-order a spot at the local shelter
    because there are none here, i live in a small town.
    So on September 9th, at 12PM i will no longer be at legal stay within my house
    or in other words, my house will turn into banks property and i will be an
    intruder, so i will leave and take the bus to the nearest city, only then
    i will have the option to look for a shelter.
    Better yet i will contact the local mental health hospital where i was
    treated 2 years ago, they have my files and they know me
    with some luck they will admit me...

If not i will try to ask the police to "arrest" me during the night
    i think ill be safer in a police cell then on the streets =\

8. Polar

Polar Account Closed

Hi just.me,

It's great that you're going to try the hospital. I think that is a very good decision you've made and I hope they can help you.

Also, don't try police cells. Some of them aren't too pleasant. The hospital sounds like a good idea and perhaps they can then better direct you in terms of networks.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Polar

9. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

Man, u should of been stronger than that to let your anxiety make u lose your job, I honestly don't recommend u live a life of homelessness and poverty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.