Need Advice from someone with medical knowledge!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GoldenPsych, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Right ok, this is going to sound weird. . This morning a thought came to me. I don't know where the blade is. I have a history of inserting things in to my wounds. And I don't know if I dreamt it last night or is my brain playing tricks on me but I am not sure if there is something in the wound. They didn't stitch the wound in A and E just left it open and was closed with steri-strips on the ward. Even though it did require stitches but was left too long for them to do anything about it.

Basically i need some advice. I don't want to go to A and E and say I may have dreamed it it may be real but I don't know as that will just make me look even madder than I already am. I was contemplating calling the nurse I have seen asking him to look at my A and E notes but does that go beyond his call of duty? Or can I just leave it? How long does it take before infection sets in, and would it cause an infection. It was a clean blade...but obs not sterile! So I don't know what to do really. I wont be able to get to A and E until tomorrow Wednesday evening now either which is another thing even if I did believe there to be something there!

2. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

This may sound kind of odd but if your worried you inserted a metal object try running a semi powerful magnet across the wound.

I have used this for removing small pieces of metal from me eye after using a grinding wheel.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you're worried about infection, clean it with soap and water and put an over-the-counter wound disinfectant on it. You can get it at any pharmacy, and it will prevent infection in the vast majority of all cases.

4. GoldenPsych

Where can I get a magnet from in the home? I have cleaned it with soap and water and anti bacterial....I think I need to go to Docs...it don't smell too good! LOL!

5. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you go to a doc more then anything.

If you do want to do the magnet thing I would suggest going out and buying one.

Or there is the possibility that you could use a old radio speaker has one in it, unfortunately you would have to rip the cone
    off it. But this a lot of work for something that may not even work in your situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

better safe than sorry, i say. please see the doctor. let us know what happens?

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You have to go in okay see a professional and get reassurance that all will be okay get it looked at now okay don't leave it

8. GoldenPsych

I had a feel of it earlier and think there is something in there. I shoved the scissors in to it and felt like it was resisting against something. Tried to pull what ever it was but wont come out as seems as though is healing around it. It's healing really quickly for me. I think they will probably leave it in there if it had healed round it already. I am not certain though that there is something there and I really don't want to go to A+E for it. I don't want to say I am not sure if I imagined it or it actually happened. I don't want to go and there be nothing there as feel really feel as though I have lost the plot and wasting their time. I have been enough times recently and cost the tax payer enough money in my stupidity.

9. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

You need medical attention as this could cause a major infection...J

10. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

How close to the A&E are you? You need to get it x rayed to see if there's anything there. If you leave it to get infected badly enough you might end up losing a limb.
    You don't have to say that you might have imagined it. Just ask them to look.

11. GoldenPsych

I live a 10min walk from A+E. I am snowed under with work. I wll try get there Wednesday if I can't get in with the GP tomorrow evening.

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If there's something stuck in there that's not part of you you definitely need to see a doctor. You can worry about taxpayer dollars when you're not at risk of losing a limb (amputations and prostheses cost a lot more than X-rays...)

13. GoldenPsych

I was told a while ago by the horrible nurse in the a+e dept that they would stop removing them and stitching me up. So I am assuming that it wouldn't cause a big problem. I think I'll leave it a couple of days and see how things are. It is healing really quickly which is not like me at all. Usually takes months for anything to heal on me. So that makes me think that there is nothing in there and I am imagining it.

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If it blocks off a tiny amount of blood you get gangrene. The horrible nurse was just being horrible. Though you need to stop sticking things in your wounds (which you need to stop making).

15. GoldenPsych

Yeah I know that. I can only deal with A+E when I am pissed. I will contact my GP surgery tomorrow to see if can get appointment. They will prob give me a course of antibiotics and see how things go.

16. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey golden just checking in to see what happened. did u get in to see your gp? thinking of you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.