Need advice, lost my job

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Summer.Rain, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

So I lost my driving license because of my suicidal thoughts, I worked as a driver so I also lost my job.
    I live with my parents and they are very emotional about me working, what should I do?
    they don't know I lost both my license and job

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know it doesn't help with the suicidal thoughts when suddenly you are alone with your thoughts with nothing to do all day.

What do you mean that your parents are very emotional about you working? Do you mean they don't want you to? Or they really do want you to?

Do you feel able to work? (I know the license is an issue, but mentally do you feel able to work?)

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hiya, I don't have much life experience regarding working and driving but i urge you to not quit. You can move past this stage of your life, be honest with your parents, honesty is the best policy and try to get a job you don't have to drive to if possible. I know you live in a country with low employment rate but with past experience you have a head start so go for it. Do what you feel is right, in a healthy way of course.

4. Professor Lambda

Professor Lambda Active Member

Well... Do you have higher education? A degree in anything, perhaps? Might you have a skill? Skilled people are essential, and very well paid, at that! If you want a job that requires a university degree, perhaps you could get a skill and work that way for some time, save up some cash, maybe get support from people you know. There are many professions out there!

Your parents? As stated above, be honest. Tell them what happened. No sugarcoating, just straight-up truth. They will surely understand. If not? Well, then what kind of parents are they?

If you are fixed on driving, and it's the only thing you enjoy... Well, you can still do that! Taxi drivers make a fair amount, especially if they work for private companies!

While I do not recommend this at all, if all goes wrong, the military is always an option. If you are good with weapons, you're disciplined, and good at following orders (and most of all, ready to put up with boredom most of the time), perhaps a private military company could find a place for you! They get paid fairly well, surprisingly. Well, they are usually hired by governments, so it doesn't come off as such a surprise after all.

Anyway, good luck. I hope you don't have to join the military, but hey! Someone's got to do it, right? Hell, I might be drafted in a few years anyway! Just enjoying the time I've got before I'm sent to god-knows-where.

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Losing your license and job due to that reason is no different then when I could not drive because of seizures. It is not your "fault" , you have no direct control over it , and certainly you did not "choose" i to happen. Once you believe that yourself, it will be easy to discuss with your parents because it is simply having a discussion about any other life beyond your control like illness/ health. As I say, if you are not convinced of the truth of that yourself, it is hard to feel confidence about it when speaking to others so the first hurdle is in fact knowing it be true yourself.

The nest part of the problem is understanding not every person that has a job has a drivers licence or needs one, not even in your neighborhood I am sure. Since you were in fact a driver it seems a huge issue to you, but in reality it is an issue millions of others have every day - no car or no license and still need employment. This is not to downplay what a monumental pain in the butt it is , but it is really an inconvenience and one faced by millions- so don't give it greater power than that ion your mind. Surely if all the others figured out a solution then you can as well. That said, perhaps your parents if they feel strongly about work./work ethic, will be a good resource for brainstorming a solution if you present it to them in that manner. It is a medical problem and it caused a work problem, you are looking for their guidance in finding a solution (and not presenting it as an excuse). Their perception of how you are approaching it will dramatically effect their reaction to it and your emotional situation.

Take Care and Be Safe

- Ben

6. Lisa83

Lisa83 Member

I don't know what the legislation is in your country regarding drivers' licenses, but you should see a lawyer and find out if you can appeal this decision. If you don't have money to see a lawyer try doing some research on the internet. There are usually mechanisms to appeal these things. It doesn't seem right that you should lose your license just for having suicidal thoughts.

3 people like this.
  7. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I am sorry to hear of these troubles. It seems that life brings them all too often. But they are surmountable! The most important thing is determination. I have been laid off 5 times during my life. I was 63 the last time. That is an an age when jobs are hard to come by. But by being open in what I did and what pay I accepted, I was able to find a position. I would suggest being open to new things in your search. Is there much public transportation in Israel? There is a lot in the bigger cities in the USA. And that is how many people get to work. Many Americans don't even own cars, or have licenses. Start looking for things close to where you live, or where you can get to on buses. Be honest with your parents. Maybe, once they understand, they can help you get to work. Seek treatment for the suicidal thoughts. They should not stop you from having a license forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.