Need advice

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Kaos General, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Ok if someone has a miscarriage would they know about it? Or would they have to wait for the hospital to tell them? And would they have any photos from a scan if they have mis carried?

2. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

Hey there..

Umm, it depends on how far along I would think..some miscarriages can seem like just a heavy period and I have heard that some do not even know they had miscarried. I am not sure what you mean by photos from a scan? Do you mean an ultrasound?

3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

yeah an ultrasound

4. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

Yeah ultrasound is a form of diagnosing miscarriage.

Oh..man, yeah umm, I don't know if it's kosher to give out photos of that but you never know. Some of the technicians I have had gave me tonnes of photos of my daughter others gave me none. It depended on their attitude towards their job. I had to have five ultrasounds during my preg. and when I inquired as to why I got some from a couple of them and none from others, I was told it's at their discretion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I don't think there would be ultrasound pictures sitting around that somehow *show* that the baby is not alive. It would look the same as any other ultrasound pic, wouldn't it?

I have known a couple of people who had miscarriaged and didn't know until their next doctor's appointment -- if they don't go to the doctor's; I'm sure they would've probably figured it out on their own with some bleeding and pain... but not all miscarriages have excessive bleeding...
    I suppose it depends on how far along they were in their pregnancy, too.

6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

If your pregnancy was already confirmed then I'd say you'd know if you were having a miscarriage. But like others have said, if you didn't know you were pregnant you could mistake a miscarriage for a very heavy period. Everyone is different though, not everyones experience will be the same. Pregnancies that end in miscarriage with no pain/bleeding are often referred to as mmc's (missed miscarriages), in these cases the loss is not detected until the 12 week or similar scan.

In the UK suspected mc's are mostly confirmed with blood tests and they look at the HCG levels. There isn't usually any ultrasound pics as most people don't get a scan until 12 weeks & a lot of mc's happen before this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  7. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

My sister had a miscarriage a few months ago, and she had no heavy period or pains. She had an eight week scan photo of the baby that she got from a private hospital, and apparently the miscarriage occured around the 9 week mark. She didn't find out she had miscarried until just before her 12 week scan whilst she was at a baby show and she lady at one of the stalls couldn't find a heartbeat for her baby. The reason she hadn't felt anything or had any heavy periods is because the baby hadn't torn away from the womb, and so her body still thought it was pregnant (or so the doctor said). Because of this she had to have an operation to have the baby removed.

So the answers are yes, there is a possibility that someone would not know that they have had a miscarriage, in some cases if they haven't realised/there were no signs then yes they would have to wait for the hospital to tell them at one of their scans, and I'm not sure what you mean with the last question, but all I know is that my sister had an eight week scan photo of when the baby was still alive. She didn't have any scan pictures of the baby after it had died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.