Need alot of help with the US benfits system

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by honsou, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honsou

honsou Well-Known Member

Ok, well I'm having a huge problem right now. As some of you may know, my mom has very advanced AIDS and while we do get some benefits now (we get 415$ in SSI and our rent is payed by a state organization. The biggest problem i have now is that because my mom now gets SSI, she was dropped from 155$ in foodstamps to 10$ in foodstamps. Added with that, because my mom is getting SSI, they also are raising the amount of rent we are suppose to pay to 30% of what the actual rent is (it comes out to roughly 215$) as you could guess 415 didn't go far when we didn't have to pay this rent but now it seems like we have to choose between a weeks food and the electric. I can't work a lot because i have to go to college and sometimes i have to take care of my mom. So i guess i come to this situation, what in the hell do i do now? I really have no clue as what to do. I feel so hopeless in this situation and was wondering if anyone had any kind of advice?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

please PM me with the information yoiu have and who you contacted, and maybe I can help...big hugs

3. Kibure

Kibure Member

First of all :hug:

I have worked with alot of people who have AIDS, and it is very tough to take care of them. I lost alot of very close people to AIDS, some of them who still hurt to think about.

I think that you need to talk to your case worker for the food stamps, and if they are not willing to try and re-evaluate the case then you can also apeal the decision. I make $800 a month and get $112 foodstamps, but that is only counting me in the household. If you cannot get it adjusted by using your mother and you, you need to tell them that you are buying your own food and your mother buys food seperately for herself (even if that isn't a full truth). I am sure if they consider just her income for her they will readjust her foodstamps. I can explain more if you need, just PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.