Need an opinion on this..

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ZombiePringle, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

So I've decided that as a last fight against this depression I will put everything I have into concentrating on other tasks. I want to focus on certain things that will improve who I am basically. I want to get back into studying my religion as well as studying to where I can get back into going to college. I also want to try and workout on a daily basis. Does anybody think this is a good idea? Or do you think it might be too much at once?

I just feel I need to do something drastic to turn my life around or it will likely end very badly for me. I don't like what I am right now. I sit around everyday playing video games or watching movies unless I'm at work or getting some errands done. I know part of this is my severe social anxiety that really makes it to where I hate leaving the house but part of it also is my depression and if I can figure out a way to beat this depression then maybe it will be enough to get my life back on track.

So anyways...does anybody have an opinion on this or some kind of advice about a better way to approach this?
  2. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm the right person to answer, but I'll give my two cents.

It's good to put effort into improving yourself, but it's best not go overboard. I find that ignoring the depression only makes it build up and exploding in an expected time (this happens to me when I get into a new project. I focus everything on it, but within days time I'll have a major crash).

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should pursue your goals but still give yourself a chance to express your sadness.

Working out sounds like a great idea to me. As for college, I think you should only go if you feel stable enough for it. If your depression is too much to handle, the extra stress will only get worse.

Edit: Though, I'd wait for other posters to answer before you do anything. I'm really not sure about my own advice here. :/
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I agree with Things, I think. Doing too much at once can lead to you burning out and ending up in a potentially worse place than you are now.

I would look to make baby chances and baby steps forward to achieve these things and start slightly adjusting your routine. I do think that if you go about this potentially more slowly and not al guns ablazing then you might find it very effective and I definitely think they are positive things to do to change your life, just try not to overload yourself all at once.
  4. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

exercise may be a good place to start

a good workout can release endorphins that can make you feel better
  5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Yeah I understand the not doing a lot at once thing. I just know that I need to structure my time more. Without structure I do nothing with my time and end up hating myself for it. Does anybody know how I could provide myself with structure without overwhelming myself?
  6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

As silly as this sounds, I got myself into a routine based on TV programs and the comings and goings in my house. I then was able to work out what programs I wanted to watch and what I wasn't bothered with. With the ones I wasn't bothered with I then filled the time doing other things.

So, generally for my day I wake up, and have breakfast, etc whilst watching Jeremy Kyle which is 9.25-10.30.

At 10.30 I feed and clean my animals which takes me to about 12.

My mum comes home shortly after from work, and then disappear out again to a different job, which then takes me to one.

From one to 1.45 I generally have a bath, get dressed, etc.

From 1.145-2.45 I watch Neighbours and then Home and Away on the tele.

From 2.45 onwards, until mum comes home from work I tend to do other things that need doing, like getting food for pets, going to shops, stuff like that.

It took some time to settle into it but I find having a routine helps so much more and gives some focus. It sounds silly and shallow to base it on TV, but it worked and as time has gone on I can now adjust and play with my routine if I want to and miss TV shows because now I focus more on the times I normally do stuff than the tv show it is based around.

Might be worth a shot, however silly it sounds?
  7. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a brilliant idea, and it has personally saved my life. Life without meaning is a slow, painful death, you can feel your mind and soul rotting away. The trick is to set goals, short term, mid term and long term. Write them all down if you must. Then choose about two short term goals that you feel you can accomplish, such as joining a gym or taking up a martial art. The physical activity is almost as good as medication. Once you have achieved these goals, well then then its up to you. It can be done, it only seems hard at the beginning. Hope this helps, sorry for any bad spelling/grammar.
  8. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

It worked for me.

To fix my depression (better now) I:
    1) fixed sleeping habits
    2) exercised
    3) improved diet
    4) got new hobby
    5) changed where I lived
    and some other stuff I forget. The BEST thing you could possibly do to fight depression is to change your life. If you don't change things, your depression will never change either.

Here's the key advice:
    Don't expect everything to work, and don't expect the things that will work to work right away. Shit, if I could go back in time I'd probably write that on a posted note to myself and keep it up.

For example, I used to go to the gym to get my exercise. It was really my only way, but I eventually discovered it wasn't for me. I was better off in a martial art (even within martial arts, the crowds in different types are very different) or going on really long hikes. At first the gym was good, but along the way I really wasn't into it and I thought to myself "I'm hopeless, exercise can't help me :(". In reality, the gym just wasn't something I liked. You might like it, you might not, but either way don't stop trying.

It took me a heck of a long time to improve my diet. I didn't know good recipes, how to cook well, how to get good food I could afford (life of a student), and what was actually good. So it didn't give me results right away, but eventually over a longer period of time I really got the hang of it. Now I feel better all the time.

So remember, in the big picture, at least in my opinion, you are exactly on the right path. However, in the small picture, the little things you choose to change in your life might not work out. If something goes wrong, keep trying, keep pushing.

Before I was really afraid to go out and socialize (at the peak of my depression), but I experimented a bit and learned exactly how to tell the kind of people/situations that I will be comfortable in. Of course, along the way there were times I thought "I don't fit in with anyone, I can't be as happy as these people". I was wrong.

Drastic change is great. It occupies the mind for at least a while, and eventually you'll hit the right change. Remember, the alternative is to sit in your current state forever.
  9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Agreed. It's great to be setting goals and to have the positive attitude towards things that you seem to have at the moment despite the depression. Just don't get too discouraged if you stray from the path you set for yourself. Depression is a bitch, and some days it will sneak up on you. I know that despite all the goals I've set for myself, there are still days depression won't let me leave the bed. But that's ok, because at least I'm trying.

Ultimately though, you know what is best for you. Some people like to take it slow, for others, going full speed may work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.