Need answers about apathy

JCC988

I just don't get it anymore. I can't be bothered to do anything or care about anything. In the past I would have had a lot more energy/motivation to do things. Now however for some reason rather than feel compelled to improve my lot I'm just not interested in doing anything apart from sitting in my room. It's not even anything specific that's got me down. I just don't feel like doing or caring about anything anymore.

Why is this happening?

When I feel like that I usually do a 'question game.' I will ask myself why, and repeat that until I can't think of another answer.

Here's what I mean by that:
"Nobody likes me."
Why?
"I'm a lunatic, a crazy person."
Why?
"Because I have repetitive thoughts that are paranoid about myself and the world."
Why?
"Because I don't trust people."
Why?
"Because I don't even know what a good person is."
Why?
"Because I don't have any examples of anyone that really stood up for me and actually cared."
Why?
"Probably because I'm a messed up person, I hate myself."
Why?
"Because I don't know what I'm supposed to be. I feel like there's something wrong with me and I need to fix it before anyone will like me."
Why?
"Because I don't trust myself and my judgement."
Why?
"..."

Then, you just look at the first bit and then the last.
"Nobody likes me."
Why am I having that thought?
"Because I don't trust myself and my judgement."

Hope that helps, I know it's a longer answer.

I just don't get it anymore. I can't be bothered to do anything or care about anything. In the past I would have had a lot more energy/motivation to do things. Now however for some reason rather than feel compelled to improve my lot I'm just not interested in doing anything apart from sitting in my room. It's not even anything specific that's got me down. I just don't feel like doing or caring about anything anymore.

Why is this happening?
Inertia and listlessness can be effects of depression. I'm not sure exactly what you are dealing with in life generally--have you been to a doctor if this has been persisting for a while?

There is a school of thought that motivation follows action, ie basically you have to by sheer force make yourself do "something". Something specific you have set or maybe give yourself options. I sometimes give myself time limits: I will do X or get up in the next hour (ok sometimes I procrastinate an extra hour still), I find it helpful generally.
Or you can set actual alarms. Also, try making your bed--I know it may sound silly or simple, possibly both. But it's a mental thing I think that can be helpful for setting a tone for the day.

Check out this forum with some tips and words re motivation too:
https://www.suicideforum.com/community/forums/guided-study-a-self-help-forum.98/

So AlexiMarie7 what do people like me do in a situation where I know I need medical help but can't afford it. My main thing is making sure my husband, that has had two strokes, has what he needs. I am surrounded by caring people and not one of them even thinks that I may need some medical help. So my solution right now is this sight, these forums. I am not asking for a pity party, but do I have to shout from a roof top. I tune in to those around me, when they are down, need an ear, just a hug. Did I lose my ticket?

Welcome to the Forum, Lillian.

Have you told those around you that you need some help and support? Sometimes, yes we do have to, shout it from the rooftop so to speak, as people around us may not notice, especially if you are what is considered "high functioning", and where you are taking care of someone else, sometimes people forget the needs of the carer.

If you haven't told them any of the caring people around you, maybe you can start there. I would only imagine that their care and concern would extend to you also.

Are you unable to get to a doctor even for one visit to discuss how you feel? Does your husband have any doctor visits? If so, could you mention it to his doctor the next time? Are there any free or sliding scale resources around you?

If not, please also look into alternative or OTC treatments to see if they can assist for a start even. Sometimes we have to do "something" for a start, even if it is not the ideal way, it's worth a try.

I'm glad you found us here; I hope we can be of some support to you.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00