Need guidance for my parents

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by learninghowtosee, Feb 16, 2016.

1. learninghowtosee

learninghowtosee New Member

I recently attempted and failed with taking my life. I'm trying to stay positive and focus on my future. My parents know and constantly trying to give me advice in the wrong way. I understand where they are coming from, but it's triggering me. Was wondering if there was a book or an article someone could direct me towards that has to do with supporting someone who has attempted suicide. That way I can have them read it so they have a better understanding of supporting me.
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi there. I'm sorry you made an attempt. I hope life is looking better already for you. I'm glad you found us and are reaching out. :)

If you Google "supporting someone after a suicide attempt", it will likely bring up articles that could be helpful and maybe the names of some books. It can also be helpful for the patient and their family to see the therapist at an information/update session together. This kind of session can encourage some open dialogue, questions and answers, and a chance for the therapist to explain what he or she hopes to accomplish with the patient through therapy. The therapist can also outline ways for family and friends to be encouraging and supportive without being either too intrusive or too distant.

Keep us posted on how you're doing! *hug*
    AdamTide likes this.
  3. there is a blog that my friend wrote called It does not talk much about suicide but does talk about depression and can be very helpful to those that don't get it. My friend is completely honest with what helps and what does not. It could also be really helpful for you too as you struggle.
  4. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you were in such pain that you attempted to end it all. But I'm very glad you are still here. :) You are going to be just fine. We're here anytime you need us. You are a good person and you MATTER. Life has a lot of good to offer.