Need help. Anyone sue after suicide of family member?

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Radiated1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Radiated1

Radiated1 New Member

Has anyone thought of suing hospitals or doctors after a family member comitted? My daughter was released early from in patient facility. I begged them to keep her. Even offered to pay cash up front. Then one doctor was not seeing her often enough. Just writing scrips. Never did required blood work. Her counselor refused to have her re-admitted two days before even though I begged him to? This is really a bad system. How can we make the medical community accountable for there actions?

2. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I don't think trying to force inpatient therapy on your daughter was the right approach. Most people who are suicidal resent having their liberty taken away....and it can often cause a backlash where they're more likely to commit suicide. It may have been what pushed her over the edge, but I don't know. This is what happened when I was 17 and my parents tricked me into a facility. I came very, very close to death after that. Much worse than before I was committed; it's a miracle I'm still alive. I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who was previously just 'depressed' but has grown mentally into an older adult in a pretty short time frame. I can see it from both perspectives....this all happened some time ago but its burnt into my mind as sharply as ever.

The whole psychiatric system is messed up though, I totally feel you on the lack of compassion and responsibility and whatnot. I realize that you may have thought "I'm doing it for their sake, they'll thank me later" mantra but that is a complete falsehood. That's part of the problem...I wouldn't pin it entirely on the doctors. I don't mean to sound insensitive but I view death as a RIGHT similar to the right to free speech, at least to an extent, and it sounds like this could have been dealt with better on both ends.

I would not try to sue them, though. The medical community is irresponsible for a million reasons and has no concept of compassion or treating suicidal/depressed individuals with much respect...you will likely not get anywhere in terms of changing or getting them to admit wrong on a large scale. Business will continue as usual until people reject the cold biomedical model of psychology/psychiatry (which doesn't necessarily mean a complete rejection of all medications or something) Even if you get money, I don't think any amount of money can compensate for the loss of a child. And of course, I am very sorry for your loss.