1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help regarding involuntary hold

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by angell, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angell

    angell Member

    I just beat a 72 hour involuntary hold in a psych ward but I'm about to face it again. I don't think I can win this time. They want me in for 'observation' due to major depressive disorder and are trying to upgrade it to psychotic depression. Anyway, I can't go. I need a way out. I'm a combat veteran who was held in a cage for nine months as an enemy of the state. I have a thing about being locked up against my will.

    Voluntary is out for two reasons: First, once there they can always extend it involuntarily. Second, there is a family crisis at the moment and I cannot be spared. It is a life or death situation concerning my wife of thirty years. I will not leave her.

    Suggestions please?
  2. JmpMster

    JmpMster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

    I guess I am confused because if you are faced with a 72 hour involuntary hold how are you out writing this? If they are trying to get a hold on you how did you get out of hospital or custody to begin with? Since the criteria is for imminent harm to self or others the mere fact you are not in custody, have not killed self , and presumably not harmed others is more than adequate to show that premise id false so I do not understand the circumstance where you know in advance they are going to try to do this that it is not already done... Without understanding that situation I am unsure what advice to give you on avoiding a situation that is not yet in place except to avoid doing something that would make the danger to self or others obvious (like a suicide attempt) ....
  3. angell

    angell Member

    In my state anyway, the person facing the court order has the right to demand a writ of habeas corpus. That requires a court date. There isn't a court date available from the time of filing that occurs within 72 hours and so...even if you lose - you win. The truth is that most county prosecutors won't file the writ on your behalf but I called my lawyer friend.

    The criteria in my state is imminent harm to self or others but also a psychotic break which includes hallucinations and losing touch with reality. I had been overheard making statements to my wife that I felt both hopeless and worthless. They decided that was 'losing touch with reality'. The hospital changed my diagnosis from major depressive episode to psychotic depression. They then called my doctor who I see in the morning and the psychiatrist that I am meeting with on Thursday. They have a plan. That's what they called for - to create one. I am trying to do the same thing...create a plan.
  4. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    Their plan may be just to get you on medication to help you not to put you in hospital give your doctor a chance trust him or her to help you ok
  5. angell

    angell Member

    You may be right but I have never met this doctor before (the psychiatrist not my pcp) and am unwilling to trust a stranger with my life and the life of my wife.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.