Need help with a gift

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by philio, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philio

philio Well-Known Member

Okay, my friend used to be a avid writer, but now she's stopped, saying she lacks inspiration, and that when she looks over all her old stuff, she just bums herself out.

Soooooo, I want to get her a new book to write in, one that she can only write happy or positive things in, that she will actually like reading back over.

However, I'm being very anal over the actual book, and I want a custom made one. It has to have be lemon yellow (her favorite colour). And also, have a custom designed pink flamingo printed on the front. (Its her favorite animal, so I designed one that is 'happy', to represent her).

Any ides where I can get this done in the UK?... Cant really find any websites for it.

2. Forsaken Heretic

Forsaken Heretic Well-Known Member

Sorry Charlie wish I could help but I'm not in the UK and I also don't know of any sites like that. I usually hunt about at Borders book store, and Barns n Nobles when I want a writing book.
  3. Can't you buy some form of a book you'd think suitable and cover it yourself? Yellow wallpaper (you can buy "ends" really cheap) - or some lovely thick wrapping paper? I'm sure you could find a real funny, or funky flamingo image somewhere... I think if you made it yourself, it would mean even more - even make her laugh (and inspire some happy writing). And I don't think it'd take all that long (and after all, would be a labour of love) :smile:

That's what I used to do - if I had an idea, an inspiration, and couldn't find it anywhere (which was usually more often than not) - I'd just figure out how to do the damned thing myself! :smile:
  4. philio

philio Well-Known Member

I'd like something more professional. Although, the idea of actually making it myself sounds good! I've already got he flamingo thing done (made it myself). Let me know what you guys think of it [​IMG].
  5. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Flamingo looks like he is about to kick another flamingo's ass, not so much happy.

The drawing is good overall.
  6. DEFINTELY Funkay!! And he does look like he's gonna kick some serious ass!

I thought of something else - I don't know if the utter madness of "Scrapbooking" has reached 'across the pond' yet. But here there are tons of places that sell stuff and/or that show you how to create really memorable keepsakes - with every imaginable doohinky, stencils, letters, stickers, edges, borders, covers you could ever possibly use.

I still think it'd be great to carry out this wonderful idea of yours with your own hands...

7. philio

philio Well-Known Member

kick someones ass?... how so?
  8. He has a very determined & focussed look in his eye (it is a "he", right?), a bit of a sneering grin (not a bad thing!), and his left foot looks like it's poised & ready to strike. At least that's how I see it....

edit...I just had another look at him, and if I move my head to a different perspective, like sideways, then his eyebrow makes him looked more mild/gentle. Almost like one of those optical illsuions. Weird...
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  9. philio

philio Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with you about the eye and the grin, might just redo the head.

As for the foot, its supposed to just be him in movement, like she's walking, or she's lifting her leg up, something to make her seem less static.

Its not really improtant, but its a she, its meant to 'represent' my friend. Hence why i'm obsessing about making it look happy.
  10. ok it's she! I wonder if raising her head so that it wasn't pointing downward would make that 'happy grin and kind eye' appear more clearly... (?see my edit above?)
  11. philio

philio Well-Known Member

Is this any better?...
  12. EXCELLENT!!!! She looks like she's walkin' TALL & PROUD! :biggrin:

(really was an "optical" thing after all - some people do indeed see things differently than others)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.