Need help with quiting (smoking)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Summer.Rain, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

I am 24 y\o and smoking for like 3 years now
    Latley (like 3 months) i start smoking like a LOT (pack maybe a day)
    the problem is not with the amount though but with the sudden jump
    i jumped from half a pack to a pack or even more in a matter of week or so.
    Now it results in a VERY nasty feeling, plus somehow i think i had
    this switch in my had that just turned off so i no longer enjoy smoking
    or the smell of it, or the taste, or the feeling...

Anyways i decided to quit
    but found out it is not as easy as i thought!
    the psychological side effects are hell
    Unrest, loss of concentration, confusion...
    I thought maybe its the lack of nicotine, so i bough this spacial gum
    sure it helps with the physical need, but the side effects are still here...
    So i need help, like tips or whatever, about what can i do
    I start the quit proccess yesturday, held threw the day but eventualy
    I lighted up some cigs (5 i think) few hours before i went to bed...
    Today i lighted up 1 cig after i woke up, and now im sitting here chewing gum :X
    Im afraid i will light up another cig later on today...
    And tommorow i have a date, and i am very nervous on dates
    plus i will be nervous even more knowing about the side effects i got...
    so im scared i will start smoking like hell again...

any tips, help, anything, is most welcome!
  2. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

A lot of the time, it's the actual action of smoking, not the smoking itself, if that makes sense. Pretend to smoke a pen or something.
  3. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

nicotine patches (if you can get them) are great
    tho they're expensive

or if you smoke just out of habit, then distract yourself through other means
    for example, do exercise or listen to music or do something else with your hands

if you try hard enough, it's possible just to go cold turkey
  4. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

what an amusing piece of advice. it's an addiction and when the urge comes, it's practically impossible to stop. unless, we are in some place that forbids smoking hehe
  5. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

6. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

It worked for some people I know. So until you know a foolproof method for giving up, I suggest you shut it.
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Coming from someone who smoked 2-3 packs a day for around 20 years, what it's going to come down to is willpower. Quitting is not easy when you're addicted and there's no magic pill to make it easy. If you think the patch or gum helps, use it but it didn't do a thing for me except cost money and make me more frustrated because I was still smoking. The patch did give me some interesting dreams but that was about it.

Also, you will find that the more you smoke, the less you enjoy it. It goes against "more is better" but it's true. I finally just stopped, threw them away and suffered for a few weeks. It truly was hell but when it was over, I was free of them and it simply makes me more determined never to start again.

I've been free of them for months now and believe me, when it comes to something I love to do (and I truly did love smoking), I have almost no willpower. What you have to do is just draw a line. It will take all of the willpower you can muster but once you convince yourself that there is no other way and you will never stop if you don't stop now, it gets somewhat easier.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.