Need help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by thannis, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thannis

thannis Active Member

How do you go about telling somebody that you've been depressed or suicidal? I think its starting to show and soon I'm going to have to talk about this. I need to know what to say and what to expect

2. nessa456

nessa456 Active Member

Hi thannis

I would just tell the person exactly how I was feeling but it all depends on how close a friend they are as to how easy this is

Peoples' reactions vary usually depending on whether they have any personal experience of depression themselves

You could perhaps ask "Do you know anything about depression?" or something like that and say you have a relative who has it - as a way of testing the water

3. thannis

thannis Active Member

And what about family? I've made an attempt before but nobody knows about it, so is it something I need to mention? I'm afraid they'll either overreact and do something drastic or not take me seriously at all. Which is why I've kept it to myself all this time

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think the best person to talk to is your doctor ok someone that can get you the help you need to deal with depression

5. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

It also depends what is cause of your depression. But best therapist is always friend, family, partner or anyone who you trust and who is willing to hear you out and be with you in the dark times. If you have someone like that, you won jackpot, because people like that are rare. Mostly, people don't wanna be with depressed people, because it makes them depressed too. People like that aren't any good and there is nothing understandable about such reaction. People like that are just selfish and completely ignorant and blind and they care only for themselves. Yep, you guessed it. I had pretty bad experiences from this myself. As a depressed person, you may feel need to tell someone your sad story. But mostly people will abandon you because of it, which will make you even more depressed. There is no logic in that.
    I would maybe recommend to do it as nessa456 said. Just ask if they know anything about depression. If they know nothing about depression, there is pretty high chance, they will not understand you. Also, you can test like that whether that person is a real friend. Because if they will push you away because you are depressed (like many people does, sadly), then that person is not your friend.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Talking does help, and can make you much more at ease if those close to you know what you're going through. It depends though...does anyone else in your family have mental health issues, how do you think they would react?

7. thannis

thannis Active Member

Nobody knows about this except you guys on SF. I find it really hard to talk about stuff like this face to face. I'm not sure how they'll react but they'll almost certainly either completely ignore it and think I'm being ridiculous or they'll overreact which I really don't want. I'm just afraid that their attitude towards me will change because of this which might make everything worse.

8. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Hey thannis, I know how you feel. I think it depends on who you tell, you can kind of gauge how they might react. Like I have family members who make a joke of suicide, or don't understand it, so I don't tell them about my feelings. Or friends who call me emo or say depression doesn't exist or whatever, I don't open up to them again. So I can understand your apprehension in wanting to tell people in your life. Maybe tell someone you know who would be more understanding and start from there. It can be very difficult to open up about these types of thoughts and feelings, but sometimes people can surprise you, in a good way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.