need hospitalization scholarship/grant

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by PrettyPP, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrettyPP

    PrettyPP New Member

    So here's the short version of my saga...After much time dealing with letters like ED, OCD, PTSD, SI as well as severe depression. I took a risk and moved across the country for a plum job, though honestly, I was scared I wasn't ready. A week into my new life I attempted suicide overdosing XXXXX - in retrospect I was too overwhelmed. I was found on the kitchen floor by my new roommate. This bought me a two day ICU stay and then a week in the psych ward...I moved back home to live with my parents and get help. I go to cog/behavioral therapy 2x a week and see a psychiatrist every week or two...but I'm not doing well. Now my psych wants to add a possibility of bipolar spectrum to my laundry list of "disorders" and meds.

    I had to resign my position I had been so excited about and thus lost my health insurance at the end of October. Both my psychologist and I agree I'm not doing well and would benefit from either a daily outpatient program or, possibly, an inpatient program. But I don't have the money.

    I spent hours today calling every place in my area trying to find the help I need. I was, unsurprisingly, told that my state has little governmental support for the mentally ill. It's so frustrating.

    I wondered if anyone had any advice on getting funds, perhaps federal, to help pay for the pricey hospitalization ($150-$300/day just for outpatient programs). Also, I wondered if anyone was aware of mental health rehab centers that offered scholarships or grants. I'm a woman in my 20s and spent some time searching the internet today - I found some substance abuse programs offering scholarships, but none for my situation. I'm willing to go out of state...I'm willing to do anything. I'm trying so hard to get better, to get my old life back, to move on with my life, to live...but it's hard when death is becoming.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  2. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    One thing you can do is call your local hospital, get ahold of the phsyc unit and ask about some group therapies that might be in your area. The ones I have attended were free! That will at least offer a little support, and of course we are here for you so that is a little more support. Do you see where I am going with this? Every little bit of support you can get helps defeat some negative thinking!!! I hope you find an organization to help you. Here in Florida There Is a group Called ACT. It is a mental health facility that helps those who have no insurance. I have been there seven times. The funny part for three years in a row I spent my birthday in there. I hope you can find something like that where you are!!Take Care!!~Joseph~
  3. Sadeyes

    Sadeyes Staff Alumni

    Hi and welcome...not sure where you the US, you may qualify for Medicaid and in the longer term, Medicare...a social worker would be able to help up to the ER of a City/County hospital and they will have to treat you...if you do not live in the US, sorry, I cannot help...PM me if I can be there for you...big hugs, J
  4. middleofnowhere

    middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

    I concur with Sadeyes. In the US, ER will have to treat you, and if you are suicidal, they are required to admit you to a mental health facility. My hospital has a separate building across the road for inpatient treatment. I would think that if you are required to check in, they will work with you on the cost.

    The county mental health has been a tremendous help to me, and has been free to me because I'm on a mental health disability. They have labeled me with OCD, BP, PTSD, Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression (sound familiar?), so I'm treated both through counselling and meds. When I was in the mental health home, I was still insured, so at least part of the expense was paid. Now, I'm on Medicare because of disability, and with a supplemental insurance, pretty much everything is covered. If you're in the US, you ought to look into the disability idea. It's not just for old people or vets or quadraplegics...mental health qualifies as much as any other illness, disability, or disabling physical problem. You need some doctors on your side who will make statements as to your condition and need. It takes time, so a lot of patience, too, but it's well worth your effort and wait. We're here anytime to listen and encourage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.