Need some advice about an interview

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Petal, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have an interview for this course; Fire and Ambulance Services Access Course next week. Here's the link to the course http://www.centralcollegelimerick.com/index.php?pagetag=courses&ID=1016

I need help, I have very little experience with interviews so I need some advice...I REALLY want to get into this course, I think it is the right one for me;

What are they likely to ask? What do I wear? Could they ask if I am on medication? Do I need to be very fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is an access course, I want to be a paramedic. help?

2. Petal

:feedback: Come on all you brainiacs give me some ideas!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

You should wear something smart and professional looking - same as you would to a job interview. In the interview itself be as personable as possible - I expect it is similar to teaching where they are checking your personality as much as anything. A paramedic needs to be able to put people at easy/talk to them easily so be friendly and polite.

I do not think they can ask about any medications that you might be on and if fitness was a course requirement it would be in the requirement part of the course description so I don't think that you need to worry about that.

Be prepared to explain that you are interested in becoming a paramedic and explain why (without getting into your own hospital experiences - keep your medical history completely out of the interview) and have a more detailed answer than "I love to help people" - as anyone applying for that course is going to love to help people; you need to say something that shows you are serious about it and it is not just a whim because you love to help people. I would also avoid saying anything about knowing loads about medical things etc unless you have any first aid qualifications or similar to explain why you know that. Being a paramedic is a really high stress/pressure job so you don't want to cast any doubt on your ability to do it - so anxiety and such would be a problem I would think.

They are likely to ask about what you have been doing since you left school, and it is possible they will ask about the fact that you left without graduating/getting your leaving certificate so have an answer prepared for that; something non-detailed and straight forward about leaving school due to personal pressures when you were a teenager but you have moved past this etc. Answer the question but don't go on about it. If there is a silence at the end of your answer, let there be silence - do not carry on talking to fill it. Just wait for the next question.

Talk about your volunteering and talk about how it involved interacting with different members of the public etc. Most of all just be as calm as you can, speak slowly (even if it seems really slow to you) and you will be absolutely fine.

Good luck!

4. Petal

Great information there Lu, I will need to come back and re-read this thread a few times in preparation for the interview. Thanks so much :) From the time I left school until a few years after I was on the tax books at my mom's bar and a close family member got very sick and died whom I was looking after so the leaving school early part of it is covered.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  5. oval

oval Well-Known Member

I recommend wearing black or grey dress pants, a button down blouse that is professional looking, flats that dont have open toes, and clear nail polish. If you have long hair, I'd also recommend putting it in a bun or pony tail.
    I've been asked a lot of times what my goals are for the next 5 years, or what my greatest accomplishment was. What is one of your weaknesses. Stuff like that. Of course, I make sure I don't tell them that I'm a negative, antisocial douche bag lol lies lies lies!!! Haha
    Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    Cananybodyhearme likes this.
  6. Petal

Thanks Oval

The interview is in the morning and to say im not anxious about it is an under statement. I've got some nice respectful looking clothing for it and have researched the net for some good advice, found some great tips on an austrailian site, but input is still welcome =)

7. Petal

The interview went extremely well, i'm surprised at how good it went, won't find out if I got a place for a few weeks. Fingers crossed :)

8. Petal

I got a place in the course woohoo, so glad I got accepted, delighted :)

9. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Petal!

10. Petal

Thank you very much =)