need some advice...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ozzy Manson, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Manson

Ozzy Manson Well-Known Member

i need some help on what to say to a counselor... i am going to go see this really nice lady for the first time on tuesday, my mom set it up for me to go :/ im really scared, because i dont want her to tell my mom that i cut last weekend, but i do want to tell her that i did....my parents already know about my cutting, but they think i stopped last year. i already know the counselor by the way, because she lives across the street from me actually. I'm just really nervous in general because after i got caught cutting at school last year and had to forcefully see that counselor there i am really scared of anybody...any advice on a first visit with a counselor and about telling her i cut recently or not will be much appreciated..

2. Just go in and tell her that you have cut yourself and you do not want your parents to know about it.. Just let her know why you cut yourself and you must also make sure that you do not cut yourself again in future.. Remember to seek help from your counsellor if you feel the self-harm urge again.. Take care and :hug:

3. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Your counsellor won't tell anyone anything you tell her unless she thinks that you're in immediate danger, and usually they tell the client before they break confidentiality anyway.

Be honest with your counsellor, and explain your worries about your parents finding out. She will understand, and should be able to reassure you.

Mim

4. Androgyny

Androgyny Well-Known Member

The truth will set you free.

5. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

I find it hard to say things directly, so perhaps an indirect approach might work for you - like, wear short sleeves under a jacket and when you take the jacket off, the counsellor will be able to see them and start a dialogue? Or perhaps write it down if you feel you can tell her directly, and that too might start some words happening.

Good luck, and be honest - it's the only way to get better

:hug:

6. Ozzy Manson

Thank you so much for the replies and the support everyone! I think I will probably just go ahead and tell her, but we will see how it goes. Afterall the cuts are not fresh at all at this point but rather just additions to the scars I already have. I am getting increasingly nervous, I go see her tomorrow afternoon literally right after school... Though I have been waiting over a year now for me to he able to get help from somebody, so honestly I am kind of excited also... Thanks again for the replies and support! <3

7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

You cannot solve a problem with a therapist unless it is shown...I think it is very brave to go see her and that you should feel very proud you are caring for yourself...let us know how it goes...big hugs, J

8. theaterfreak

theaterfreak Well-Known Member

how did it go with the counselor?

9. Ozzy Manson

it actually went pretty good, i talked to her for the whole hour. told her about my cutting and all. she even gave me some tips on how i can get to sleep at night so i don't feel so bad all the time. she also gave me some locally made stuff called booda butter, to put on my scars to help them go away. i honestly am kind of excited that i get to see her again soon, to talk to somebody i know who cares, i see her on monday night. she said i can call her when i feel like cutting, i think i might have some trouble with that at first but i think it will be helpful. i actually found out a lot about kind of what my mom is worried about by talking to the counselor, like why she is trying to protect me from my dad as much as she can, so i don't have to feel bad when she does, and that she is concerned what effects my past with my dad will have on me. i think this will really be a helpful thing for me to keep seeing her :)

10. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

omg, booda butter :wub:
    i have to buy that! :wub: :wub:

11. Ozzy Manson

Haha romancer xD it is so awesome!!!! I love it now too :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.