Need some encouragement

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I haven't smoked in the past 24 hours :biggrin: That was extremely hard for me to do lol! I'm starting to struggle now though, really craving. I'm using nicorette gum and will have the inhaler later. How long do the cravings last? Please say the first day was the hardest lol!!
    Is it normal to feel dizzy on the first day? :blink:
    Thanks ;)

You quit 23 hours, 38 minutes & 51 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 24 cigs, saved EUR 10 and added 2.00 hours to your life. :lol!:
  2. shefallsasleep

shefallsasleep Well-Known Member

Well done :goodjob:

I gave up smoking after my first bout of depression and now I can't stand to be around people smoking it makes me sick!
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

First week you'll probably struggle a bit!
    Get yourself some patches as well as the gum and the inhaler and I say make sure you have something to do with your hands! That's where most people struggle.
    The old elastic band on the wrist trick usually helps. Ping it whenever you're craving.

You can do it Lynn!!!
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

You can do it! :)
  5. planechaser

planechaser Well-Known Member

its a super hard task. i tried quitting but it didnt last long. so kudos for you for going this long without. KEEP IT UP!!
  6. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's really hard, especially the first few days. Some people do it cold turkey... I had to taper off. Good luck!
  7. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

You're doing awesome! Keep going!

I've heard the first 3-6 days are usually the worst, but, I dunno I think the first day is the hardest. Once you get past that first day you know you can go without... and you've done it! Now you know once and for all you really DONT need to smoke. Its mostly about breaking your habit now... those moments were you usually smoked... Just're not really craving the nicotine, you're craving the routine.

Keep it up!

congrats on 24hrs!

8. Zola

Zola Antiquities Friend

You can DO IT! The really hard part is the first 30 days IMHO. That's what happened to me. Then it eases off, but you still may crave cigarettes when you're around smokers and inhaling their fumes. The bargain I made with myself when I went off, was that i would permit myself any other craving for thirty days., anything, but not cigarettes. So I ate and drank everything I wanted, regardless of any weight problem I may have had. I went to the theater as many times as i wanted to. Movies, eating out, etc., etc. This helped substantially. Build up a large cache of food and drink at home so it's there when you need it. Stopping smoking is much more important to your health than eating ice cream. You will be able to drop any extra pounds you may pick up after you've cut out the cigarettes.

Best of luck,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  9. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

My situation was a little diff as i dipped instead of smoked but I found the second day to be absolute hell... well in the sense that i went off at every little thing and really wanted to dip badddd... but hang in there and it will quickly get easier... i had the cravings for about two months after but now I am at the point where even the smell of it makes me sick... quite the change for me :)
  10. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

ever tried the electric cigerrete?
  11. papertiger

papertiger Member

I found the first three days to be the worst physically. To me it felt like a hungry feeling as if I were starving myself, no matter how much food I ate.

It's the psychological craving months later that still gets to me, and it's much worse around friends who smoke and are willing to give you one if you ask.
    I want my tongue piercing back just to have a different object for my oral fixation.
    I did have one friend who had it so bad she tried hypnosis, and she said as time went on the craving lessened. It helps that they're so expensive by me now, I can't afford it!

Good luck! Just take it one day at a time :)
  12. Petal

Thanks for all the support :) You've helped lots :D

I'm still going strong, 46 hours now, I'm using nicorette gum and just got the nicorette inhaler :D

Thanks again :arms:
  13. Petal

I can't believe I've lasted this long! It will be 3 days in a couple of hours :cheer:
  14. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Patches seem to work well and yes dizziness is normal You can do it just distract your self They say change up your routine a bit to helps have coffee breaks at different times of day etc changing routine helps you not to need that cigarette break as often. Good luck
  15. Petal

Thank you Violet :)

I've been smoke free for 6 days now! :cheer:

It can be done!!!
  16. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Way to go keep up the great work and yes it can be done good for you
  17. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Still not smoking? :)
    Congrats! :)