Need some help regarding sleep medications

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am currently on mirtazipine(zispin) 30mg, circadin(melatonin 2mg) and stilnox (ambien) 10mg for sleep. I find since switching from zopiclone to ambien that I am waking 2 hours exactly after I take it. I've read up on it and read that it does only work for 2-3 hours. What should I do? I can go back to sleep when I wake but it takes effort.
  2. kote

kote Account Closed

i had similar problems - im now on a mix of 12 tablets to sleep and they usually work quite well.
    to name them would be difficult - theyre all japanese. lol
    but id say go back to your dr. and say this and has he anything for it.
    ive got pills for initial sleep, to keep me asleep, early waking and an anti convulsant.
    it took some time but we got the mix right.

good luck at uni by the way!!! a new start is always great!!! i hope you make lots of new nice friends easily!!!

dont share your pills. lol and dont mix with booze!!! lol
  3. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I've found Seroquel really helpful.. Have you ever tried that medicine? If not, it might be an idea to suggest to your doctor.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thanks nean :hug: I never share my pills and don't mix with alcohol for sure :) Perhaps I just haven't found the right mix yet. And cheerful, I took seroquel for sleep and it made me extremely paranoid, so that's out of the question. I appreciate the suggestions though from both of you :)
  5. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Trazodone? That might be helpful?
  6. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Agree with cheerfulfawn, possible asking for trazadone might be helpful to you. When i was taking trazadone i would sleep like a baby.
  7. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

First thing I will say is that you are right about Ambien, it is only to help FALL asleep, not stay asleep.
    Only downside to trazodone is you can build up a tolerance to the drowsiness side effect quickly. I did. Some don't, but a lot do. It's an older antidepressant of the serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor class. I was going to suggest Remeron, but you're already taking it (Mirtazapine)!
    Well, lets see. Honestly, some of the meds that cause the most drowsiness are antipsychotics, but the thing is, you had issues with seroquel. That does not guarantee that you will react badly to other antipsychotics, but it is something you should approach cautiously and keep an eye out for the paranoia that you had on seroquel. Seroquel is one of the most well-known for the sleepiness it causes in most everyone, but there are some others, especially ones like Haldol or Trilafon. Thorazine would put you out, but they don't use it for insomnia anymore except, if I remember right, in Germany. At least, it isn't "indicated" for insomnia. Some of the atypical antipsychotics also cause drowsiness (seroquel is one) and while seroquel is the most notable, risperdal especially, and sometimes zyprexa also, can also put some to sleep pretty well, BUT it can really put some weight on you - then again, so can seroquel.
    Have you ever tried Eszopiclone (here it is called Lunesta)? It lasts longer than Ambien and is specifically for sleep. I don't think it is available in a lot of places outside the USA because their patent expired, so they have no financial reason to get it approved. I'm pretty sure it isn't approved in Europe, so I assume it isn't in Ireland (I think that's where you live).

Why are you switching from Zopiclone? It is very similar to Lunesta. It has about double the half life of ambien.
    Honestly, as far as things that KEEP you asleep, the options are kind of limited to a small number of hypnotics (primarily Zopiclone), some antipsychotics, and a few older antidepressants. Wish I could be of more help, but those are pretty much the only options that I'm aware of.
  8. mackaroni

mackaroni Well-Known Member

I have tried Trazadone and Seroquel with much success. You have to be careful Trazadone as it can become toxic in your system if you take too much too fast.

I actually had better sleep on the generic of Ambien (zolpidem) than on the brand name!

Good luck!