need to talk to boss

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lorax, May 16, 2016.

1. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

My manager is asking me to drop my life, and work 20+ hours a day while they go on vacation. They did not ask me, and they gave me 5 days notice. This lovely person will not pay over time (99% sure it is required here) and is already having me do work 100% out of my description. I have decided to tell them no. I know they will yell, and be pissed. I do not know how to say it though. I really would rather keep my job, but I refuse to work that. I would offer to work some hours, but this person basically only has us working. (Say for a 20 hour a week coworker) so I really need advice on how to navigate this, hopefully with out being fired. They already got tickets, but I do not feel bad. They just dropped this on me with no back ups.

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Could these hours be split between you and other co-workers so it's not the same burden? 20 hours a day sounds nuts!
    Try to come up with some solutions, and bring those to your boss, that way you are not actually saying no.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Lorax. That's a tough situation to be in, I'm sure. Is there a way to present yourself as agreeable to doing what is truly possible, and letting the over-the-top requests go?

I don't know exactly how to handle it. "Maybe"...depending on your boss's temperament...maybe sit down with boss and your calendar and present all your ongoing responsibilities, plus the extra your boss has added for his holiday...Then ask an earnest, polite, serious question, "Could we prioritize my responsibilities for while you're away? Looking at my calendar and current responsibilities, there isn't enough time for me to get to everything. Cut something, change some deadlines, or maybe split this work with others, as well as me, so everything you need done will get done and done well?" (Hopefully your boss would hear that as a reasonable person trying to ensure that everything does get done.)

Keep us posted. I can only imagine how stressed you could be feeling. I know I would be stressed. *hug*

4. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Lorax, that is a difficult position to be put in, not to mention unfair and possibly against Labor laws(I'm not sure where you are) I also realize you depend on your job, but what this person is doing, sounds like abuse of power to me.
    I wish I had a way to help you, I would say talk to him and say you're not able to work so many hours, but he doesn't seem like the kind of person that would be considerate of others. I hope it works out somehow. But if it were me, I believe I'd be looking for another job a soon as possible. It's easier to get another job when you have one too. Take care my friend.
    Brian

5. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Phantom

I asked, they agreed to have my other co worker do 3 shifts. Basically giving me 3, 12 hour breaks. Still no solution, as they cant work more hours.

6. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I will try lumping these 3 together. Not to be rude, im just tired. My fellow coworkers are unable to split hours. I have nothing bad with them. Actually really like one.

Alas, when saying I have things to do. my mng responded by crying about how much they loose in tickets. Cruize tickets. While I cant get insurance.. regardless, they dont care about my problems. Nor do i care of theres.

Its illegal if he shorts the pay, not the total amount of work. This really has escelated to quit now or quit later. With one i get a nice check, and paid time to job hunt. With the other, I get sweet revenge, and save my emotinal life

Thank you all for the good advice

Brian777 likes this.
  7. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Being assertive worked. My co workers took more hours, and my boss cut a day off his trip. Still need to find something better, but I'm glad I stood up for my self.

Stripe, Brian777 and Rockclimbinggirl like this.
  8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Lorax, congratulations on having stood up on this one! I imagine it feels really good!

If you still need to look elsewhere, it's good that you're coming to a decision on it now. And it's good to have a job when we are doing a job search. Many employers like to see that we "can" work and are already working. Good luck however you decide to handle things. I'm sure you'll do well! :)

9. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

That went by really fast, just hung out. Made some money for the move fund too. Still on the hunt, but it's a small town. Time to become the one who knocks..