need ur help.. just read

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by iwishiwasinvisible, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwishiwasinvisible

iwishiwasinvisible Active Member

im writing a college research paper on self mutilation. i need quotes and things. can i get some of your views on si. how do you think people see and view si . negative and positve effects and images. things like that. the effect on the injurer than family and friends
    anything will help thanks

this is ur chance to speak and let ur views out and teach ppl

2. hopeless

hopeless Well-Known Member

people don't really understand self-injury. it scares them and they react badly (at least that has been my experience).

most of the time it's not about dying. if i wanted to die i certainly would try a more lethal method than cutting my wrists. it's more of a way to snap myself back into reality, or feel again, or punish myself.

cutting helps by releasing endorphins in the brain. that's why it makes us feel better.

self-injury is often classified as a suicidal gesture. the proffessional community thinks that if you cut then you want to die. as i said before this is not the case with me.

it definately scares my family and friends because they think they need to fix me, and they think if i cut then they are failing

3. iwishiwasinvisible

iwishiwasinvisible Active Member

4. Khaizim

Khaizim New Member

I cut myself but i cut on my chest and upper arms (Both vertical and horizontal), i do it becuse thats what makes me feel alive. On top of that i smear my wound with various things. The cutting itself doesn't hurt its the thing i smear myself in that hurts like no day tomorrow but it helps me handle the emotional issues, those i cant handle.

No one knows i cut myself i am an adualt, i never got asked if i wanted to come to this world. So no one is gonna come and tell me what i should do and should not.

I dont know if this fits in to what you want, but its self mutilation also from my point of view. I have diabethic and i self starve dont take insulin. Which help me stay away from food several days, eat a little vomit it up, and feel a rush inside my body. The chest pain was unbearable at that time(Feelt like someone was tearing my chest apart), was nearly able to walk shaking sweating. But i feelt alive (Thats what i struggle for), yes i am aware i could have died from that. But then again i dont care, i am dead inside so why should i be alive in my apperance.

Again i apologise if i wrote something that didn't belong here. If my life can help someone at least i made something good.

~The swede

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i'm not sure what info you are looking for.... i have self-harmed on and off since i was a teenager (i'm 42 now).... mostly it's to release stress and when i'm emotionally overwhelmed. i've gotten some help for it, my therapist knows, and when i was admitted to the hospital they knew too (i didn't tell them, but they wanted to take my blood pressure reading and so saw the scars on my upper arms) - the nurses and doctors at the hospital were sympathetic and didn't judge me for cutting. maybe they had some training, cos i've heard from loads of other people that the medical staff they saw were not understanding. i have been cutting so long i can't really imagine myself stopping. i find it very soothing, which seems counterintuitive but is my reality. it calms me down and helps me through some rough patches emotionally. i'm also hooked on the endorphins that come when you cut.

6. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

for negative and positive reactions u can easily read "before you self harm read this" topic and it basicaly describes how misserable your life is before hurting yourself and how misserable, sad and addicted u feel once you get used to it. I guess u want to add "emos" to your paper work, but please dont, we dont do this for the looks, or to belong somewhere, this is our way to release the internal pain we have. family and friends eventually find out, some parents just dont care and some take u to a hospital( thats why many of us hide the scars and try to hide it as long as we can). Most of the people we could call friends freak out and run away for ever. some try to give support and help :)

if u are interested to know about why self harms becomes addictive this is a lil bit of info:

when u feel ohysical pain, the body releases endorphines that are the resposibles of the feeling we call love. the body does this to prevent a shock, and also releases this endorphnes when u eat chocolate. The fact about endorphines is that your body gets used to a certain amount and (like drugs) u start needing more and more. Some times my hands shake or i start sweating when its been a long time. So this is not only we just do because we feel bad/depressed etc, it becomes in a monster that eats you from the inside.

A song u could relate to this subjet: Breaking the Habits- linking park
    Gl in your paperwork! i hope u get an A :)

if u need to ask questions feel free to pm me any time ill answer u openly. Take care!

7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Thank you Jane Doe...your information was quite good...I would like to add to it: cutting is a way someone finds relief when they cannot express their emotions..it is not suicidal, in fact, it is a self-persevation, so that someone can continue to live in extraordinary pain...often times, it is a part of a more comprehensive disorder. It speaks to why ppl would choose to harm their bodies (which usually feel estranged from them) and symbolize the 'cutting' event (e.g. I can feel like I am here when ________).
    I have cut throughout the course of my life, more so when I was a teenager than an adult...I felt so isolated and dissociated that it allowed me to feel like I was a person...once I had a more effective voice and a way to express what I felt, I needed to do this much less...even today, under dire stress, I think about it...hope this is helpful...please PM me if I can help any further, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.