Needing a "gimmick" to succeed in life

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAVE_ME

Does anyone else ever find that these days, it's like you need to have a gimmick to succeed in life? I consider myself a straight-forward no-nonsense person. I don't beat around the bush when it comes to a lot of things and what you see is what you get with me. But for example, when applying for things like jobs, prospective employers always ask you to list your "claims to fame" and stuff like that, and they always look out for people who might've been I dunno, a groupie for Snoop Dogg or something like that. I often find that life is seldom about actual 'talent' these days and more about who you know and shizz. If you're just a straight-forward but talented person, people tend to find you boring. Whereas if you're not particularly talented but your dad knows someone who knows someone else who is a distant relative of a celebrity - CHA-CHING! Famous by association! See, it's all about who's marketable and who can spin the most money into the machine to keep it going. This world has become too commercial and too "Hollywood". I'm an artist. There is no place for artists in this world.

sunshinesblack

hi, i know what you mean , a lot of times the art world looks like a mob family but um that is known just have to try by other means , think you should publish your work in places like deviant art, i see a lot of people there getting commissions with no friends in high places...well sometimes its looks like a mini mob there too but not all the time lol
I think if your talent really does shine it will attract people regardless of who you know
also need to ignore peoples attitudes
like there will always be haters so try promoting to people thet r actually open, maybe u applied for the wrong job

Last edited by a moderator:

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Exactly. I also just wanted to say
I have a deviantart, and even on there its the same thing.
Its about connections and if your friends with and talk with
a lot of people who are "popular" and have a lot of page views.
And a ton of self advertising. ( Very hard)
otherwise you could have 50 deviations on there and no one is going
to look at or comment on them. its hard
for me to just be like "hey! I love your work, want to comishion with me?"
even though I totally don't even know you? I doubt anyone would be interested in it or take me seriously. Its easy to get lost
In the sea of talent called deviantart. But still it is a good idea.
I'm not trying to be down on it.

FBD

its true, its all about who you know these days as opposed to talk and who you are. although, people with talent do succeed (depending on what you define succeed as) its just harder for people with talent and less connections. just do everything you can to get your name out there, and i mean anything (well short of moral breaking and illegal things...). you just gotta put yourself out there, im not exactly artistic, but there must be some opportunities around to show off what you can do, jump at them. a lot of times connections are made by being in the right place at the right time (and from rich daddies...but thats not the point...) just jump at opportunites and eventually youll be successful to some extent and as an artist i think that part of being successful is showing people your art and having them appreciate it, not being rich and selling out, so just aim to have people appreciate what you do.

mortdesinos

I think the biggest aspect of having connections is actually getting a good job interview, or having a chance to showcase your art. Having connections may help you get noticed more quickly, but I think that once you get to that point, the true "you" steps into the picture. I don't know much about the art world, but I do appreciate good artwork as long as I'm exposed to it. Find a way to get your artwork out there. You can be a no nonsense person and fascinating at the same time. Don't try to fit the mold of a "typical" or stereotypical successful person. Be yourself, and you'll make fans of your friends, other artists, and maybe even your employers.

sunshinesblack

Exactly. I also just wanted to say
I have a deviantart, and even on there its the same thing.
Its about connections and if your friends with and talk with
a lot of people who are "popular" and have a lot of page views.
And a ton of self advertising. ( Very hard)
otherwise you could have 50 deviations on there and no one is going
to look at or comment on them. its hard
for me to just be like "hey! I love your work, want to comishion with me?"
even though I totally don't even know you? I doubt anyone would be interested in it or take me seriously. Its easy to get lost
In the sea of talent called deviantart. But still it is a good idea.
I'm not trying to be down on it.
Not shure i agree, find this to be double sided
To be honest dont remember seeing many exceptional talents unrecognized there, actually none, or i tend to like what popular people do regardless of the stupid shit they say, i would not friend them i see really awkward texts in tutorials but i cant deny the graphics r exceptional

So I think you can argue on weather having friends is influencing your art performance or if you can really be an artist if you dont belong socially but i cant really believe you get popularity and recognition without showcasing really impressive stuff at least not on DA

SAVE ME by the way you started you speech you sound like a troll, good subject nonetheless
mind telling me what is a straight-forward no-nonsense artist like?

I completely get you.
The university system in Britain is very corrupt. If I wanted to get onto an Oxford, Cambrige or King's College courrse then I'd have no chance compared to someone of an independant school whose "daddy" is close friends with the head of the entrance board. I don't know what I'm going to do about uni.

SAVE_ME

Not shure i agree, find this to be double sided
To be honest dont remember seeing many exceptional talents unrecognized there, actually none, or i tend to like what popular people do regardless of the stupid shit they say, i would not friend them i see really awkward texts in tutorials but i cant deny the graphics r exceptional

So I think you can argue on weather having friends is influencing your art performance or if you can really be an artist if you dont belong socially but i cant really believe you get popularity and recognition without showcasing really impressive stuff at least not on DA

SAVE ME by the way you started you speech you sound like a troll, good subject nonetheless
mind telling me what is a straight-forward no-nonsense artist like?
As in I'm simply myself and I don't act like I'm a legend or God's gift to the world to impress people. It's good to have a bit of confidence but some people overdo it and make themselves out to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Some people (particularly on YouTube) even refer to themselves in third person, make up little catchphrases for themselves etc. as though they're a character and not a human being. I'm not quite sure how that sounded trollish and didn't intend for it to come across like that but that is what I meant.

And it's not limited to art btw. That was just an example. Goes for anything, from dating to acting, to work and education, to music...hence we have programmes like X Factor where people go on wanting to be like Lady Gaga, wearing these outlandish costumes and it becomes less about music and talent and more about who's going to get them the highest ratings and the most money.

I just get so fed up of being brushed aside. Yeah, there's probably a little bit I could do to change my situation as long as I don't have to change myself completely and up being fake and someone I'm not just to please somebody else. But that's the problem with the world. They don't like self-made people. They always want to turn people into what they want them to be.

Don't suppose anyone here is into David Icke? Kinda reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGumPSuTs5Y

And I was listening to this song by 3 Doors Down the other day, just listening to the words. In a way it kind of seemed relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7h_b-YA5qM

BTW this topic feels as though it's going to end up turning into a bit of a debate so might be an idea to move this to the soap box? I dunno. Just started off as a question I was asking myself the other day but if it provokes a few thoughts and gets a bit of a discussion going, cool I guess.

well dunno what to say
so many things about this
first i always imagined art to be about ones pure whim so yeah some nonsense there .....
but yeah some people r disgusting humans regardless of their art
i really feel the Icke video (and really hate old people thet just have something to say all the time to younger people, i know by now wisdom is silent a lot of times)

um, i ended up in shit after univ but since I dont have the option to give up im tring on freelance sites (need money more than art now), what i found is one can get recognition for their talent but faced with the real world and comparing with other recognized talents one may find you one is not that talented or skilled, that is if you can tell art form craft and amateur from pro and need to make it solely on talent ( so yeah guess one needs to be exceptionally gifted)
I think i have a start now but yeah wish this start was 5 years ago and i hate the world and mostly my parents for keeping me in a sealed shoe box , or under a rock if you like
and yeah sadly i wont have Beyonces villas boohoo :(

oh wanted to add that am working on my claim to fame as illustrating indistinctable from x and y recognized artists in my free time
just like all the artists that feel "it could be me but its actually paul paper" project does them justice except ill choose a really inspiring artist not some lucky git

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00