Needing some medication but scared to use.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by HomerSimpson, Oct 26, 2014.

1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Guys I am going through some more craziness at home and I need something to calm my anxiety and nerves because at the moment I am going crazy. I am going to try and go this week to get back on some kind of depression pills and I have had a few friends suggest i ask the doctor for a xanax script to help me get through all this anxiety I am having.

Anyway I am worried about getting on xanax because it seems a lot say you will get hooked instantly. So what is everyone's thoughts, because I am a 40 you man in great shape. I run, do marathons, bodybuilding, etc but at the moment no kind of exercise is helping me. I have heard some people take them throughout the day, but with me I just need something for when all the craziness here starts.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I think it is unlikely the Dr will start you on xanax to begin with as a first try anyway - and to be honest would be better off trying something milder to start with in my opinion because once you get a tolerance built for that there would be no place else to go ... but is better to get the Dr opinion than mine. Meds can be a huge help in general and is certainly worth a try. I applaud you for deciding to get help.

3. random33

random33 Well-Known Member

Just be honest with the doctor and follow his advice, just don't go there asking for xanax, based on your symptoms and what is going on with your life, the doctor will prescribe what suits you better, that does not mean that he will get it right in the first try, sometimes it takes several tries to find the right treatment.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi homer, just wondering how you got on at the doctors? Would be very surprised if the doctor prescribed xanax on the first visit without any history. Xanax is very addictive, however small doses for panic attacks as needed would probably be alright. There are plenty of anti depressants that also work as anti anxiety pills if you don't want to get addicted. To name a few, setraline, lexapro,citalopram,mirtazapine.

I hope it went well, keep us updated!

5. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm sorry to here you are suffering but you can succeed in your mind. It's tough but you can do it. Some medication will help you with this and calm the panic attacks. Be happy.