Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

it's becoming a field of landmines for anyone born in the 50s or 60s, both negro and oriental were widely use but not in anyway meant derogatively.
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'm pretty offended when I hear it. "Oh, you brought a Negro to dinner!" Context means a lot but I'd just rather not use any word to describe a person when it makes them uncomfortable.
  4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Well... some people feel offended when they are referred by certain characteristics rather than who they are.

I can't be sure, but if you look at it this way, when ****** was used primarily, it was a weapon used to destroy a persons self worth. It developed off of the word Negro. As a counter, a lot of people with black skin would use the term Negro to re-emphasize self worth back into someone. I believe at it's peak and respected useage, it is used to reaffirm someones origins. But the more someone uses any term or word in a positive light, other people will use it in a assaultive manner. I have no doubt that the context's of the word ****** have stayed the same, and simply the words have been swapped. Context and tone means a lot...

Nothing is permanent with us unless we maintain and reinforce it properly. If a group of people want to attempt to make a term other than what it is, they will try to. So for the person that took offence to the word Negro.. they could just be an overly sensitive individual looking for a fight wherever descriptions/definition of someone happen.
    Or, perhaps in that persons life, the term Negro has been used as an actual assault on their individuality.
  5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have a hard time understanding why a word needs to be used in most situations at all. Unless you are describing somebody for a person that has never seen them to be able to try and find in a crowd , why is a word that describes race/color/ethnicity being used? It seems to me that if I ( as a white male) would not add the description of "white" in the exact same phrase and context then there is really no way I could add black/negro/ (or any other description like latino/hispanic/asian/oriental) without it being clear that to me it made a difference- and if it makes a difference then it is a racist remark.

I also believe it is a racist remark even if said or trying to be said in a positive way since it still implies that it is "different but okay" (the people that point out the black, the hispanic, and the gay person that attended their party to "show they are not racist" when talking about the party later as if that detail was important in general conversation?) I am unsure how feeling the inclination to emphasize "different" is ever going to be okay. Why would one feel the need to mention anything? Was it really such an impact on you psychologically that there was a "different" that it has to be added to the narrative at all? If you really do not see the differences as important enough to point out then you do not need to worry if it is the current updated politically correct term. I would also say if you find it an important detail in a story then probably you have some racial issues even if you did not know it. That goes in all directions as well in my opinion. But its just an opinion, (and "you" is a generic and not directed at any poster in this thread or reader.....)
  6. justMe7

I think when you and your parents were kidnapped/enslaved and brought to a foreign land, and then repeatedly broken down by physical and mental torture you start to strongly identify with anything that resembles freedom and a connection to home. Negro is a strong connection to Home, for some people. It's very meaning helps to repel a lot of the false definitions forced upon other people. Some people truly adopted the violence manipulation imposed on them, to the point where they truly believed they were what they were being called. Saying to your brother or sister "Negro" with some other context was a way of reminding them of something more.

People of white descent with historical collections of unity and understanding have strong family generations, which helps them feel at peace in their native lands. It's a completely different core feeling if you are being reminded that you don't belong, that you are less than another and so on.. A lot of people who have not experienced this might not understand the significance of these terms. But they are extremely important to some people who empower them with their own identity and freedom. It helps protect and liberate them from the confines of an aggressive community that dominates their lives.

History... brings a lot of meaning to these older words. But in truth, they carry on, and some people use them in places that dilute their meaning. And so on, and so on... It's basically culture and indentity assimilation through generations. Break you. Feel bad for breaking you. Twist and fight for "you". Tell you we're all the same. Tell you to get over it. Show and feed you your particular culture and then get frustrated when you don't adopt the core makings of that culture.

Culture assimilation... You can't say get over it. This stuff is 100's of years of damage. If black people want to say Negro or Nigga or whatever .. then that's theirs to do. Imo it's their way of currently dealing with the forced incorporation of their people into western culture. (if you need divides)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

I don't use that word nor any of its variants in any context outside of a proper name or historical reference, and it will not be spoken in my home around my children. There won't be any "nigga/nigg-r, etc" chatter in this black person's house, SBlake. Period.
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Well said! +100

9. justMe7

Right, and that's your personal choice. Go to the next person, they may have a completely different position. It depends on the person and how they relate themselves to their surroundings.
  10. Prinnctopher's Belt

Oh there is no doubt. I was raised around it and was clarifying that not all black Americans speak like that nor believe this:

11. justMe7

I agree most definitely. When it comes to speaking about Americans of African descent it's a mixture of all sorts of cultures and viewpoints. I was referring to the people who are vocal about using such terms. They don't speak or reflect the entirety of African Americans at all. I'm not sure if there is such a thing to be honest. Everyone in American is just Americans to me in the end, with different cultural and social backgrounds, unless they firmly state otherwise.

I suppose I should have said "If a person of African American descent wants to say...." Poor wording on my part, thanks for the nudge of clarity.
  12. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

That word has no practical purpose and shouldn't be used, in my opinion. It was pretty steep to make a thing out of it and kick him off the show though. They should have let him off with a warning, and gone about their damn day.

Most definitely, but some of the criticism in this case is pretty justified.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  13. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I still don't understand why people have the need to use the word negro. I work with Very diverse staff and clients and I do not have the mindset to think they're different than me. Only time I would mention the color of the skin/ethnicity is describing a client that's lost to the cops.

Seriously the word has no place in the society as its meant to put a group of people down. It was a segregated period when the word was commonly used. Its meant to degrade someone just because of their skin. It's not a neutral word that some people claim it to be.

We're now in the time and age that words are constantly becoming politically correct to promote acceptance of all individuals because we now know better. To balantly use the word that shows ones intolerance of ones skin color in today's time and age is telling the society they're a racist and they better know the backlash the society will dish out defending the goodness of diversity tolerance with one another.
  14. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Can I just ask, and please don't bite my head off; but what is this need to say African American, Italian American, Irish American...etc.
    Here in the UK you are either English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh and we all respond to British; regardless of where our ancestors came from.
  15. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

This I can answer. I am an american, my family for many generations were born in america. But when someone looks at me, they don't think, " there goes an american." They think, "there's a black girl." A white person in this country has the luxury of being an american first...I do not. I am black first, and then I am american, or intelligent, or qualified, or valuable, or not. But because this will never be a racially neutral society, because color DOES continue to make a difference in every aspect of one's life, I will always be black first.
  16. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

Negro is a dirrivetive of negroid...Latin for negro is niger aka the n word...the offended is the offender... do the maths.. unlike a Neanderthal?
  17. Prinnctopher's Belt

It's not an offensive question at all, Terry. :)

The USA is a relatively new country where Europeans, Asians and Africans have only been here for a few hundred years, with many Americans being only the third or so generation that aren't immigrants. The hyphenations are just a way people identify with their heritage and ethnicity instead of race. Bob Marley, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Al Sharpton, Naomi Campbell all are black, but only one is African American. That's the difference.

An Italian-American household will speak a different language than a Korean-American household, and maybe have different customs as well.

But mostly we identify as American. I'm just black, in agreement with sweetles, as if I'm not meant to fit in. America is just very immature, Terry. Britain is far older and easier to get over this type of stuff.

On the other hand, my great grandmother is Native American, and she conceived my grandmother with a biracial man whose father was British and mother was African American. I guess that makes me Super-American or something.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  18. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

I'm just black....

Wow just goes to show !How little we thought we knew! I always thought you were white!
  19. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

Human condition

Fuck race this really isnt the place....
  20. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

Re: Human condition

were dealing with peoples hearts and souls and minds were all the same kind...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.