Nervous Breakdowns

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Depressica Suicydal, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depressica Suicydal

Depressica Suicydal Active Member

How do you know if you have had a nervous breakdown?
    How do you know if you are having one?

2. .R.

.R. Member

They don't use the term nervous breakdown anymore. When I was hospitalized I was 99% sure I was having severe nervous breakdowns at the time but they just glanced over that. I think they just consider them to be severe anxiety attacks (and of course if you seek treatment for them they will begin to consider you mentally unfit and diagnose you with things such as personality disorder, schizoaffective etc :( )

3. Depressica Suicydal

Interesting post. Does anyone else here know about nervous breakdowns? If they are not referred to as "nervous breakdowns," what exactly are they called? Are there specific symptoms that are looked for?

4. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I think the best way to tell is if your ability to cope with anything stressful plumets. You get so wound up inside from things that you finally just snap and you can't do it anymore. Even the smallest of things in certain cases seem hopeless. I guess it is your bodies way of telling you enough is enough. I always call it the boiling point. Have you had anything similar to that or do you feel like things are getting to difficult or on top of you?

5. Depressica Suicydal

I have already been put in the mental ward of a hospital for 3 days in May and the better part of an evening in June. This has been the worst summer of my life. I just came back from an event that was mostly fun, but I got a horrible e-mail from one of the members when I got back. I can be oblivious my own behavior at times and I guess I p---sed a couple of people off, even though my total behavior there, I feel, was just being kind of quiet. This person felt I depended on people too much to make sure I had a good time. I am considering that. I never totally throw away what people say to me. Now I may be banned from this forum of people I can about and won't be able to attend any of their events, which is the highlight of my year.

I feel horrible; I'm either pushing people away or they are rejecting me. I'm afraid. I feel like I'm 75% away from a "boiling point" and I'm afraid of going over the edge and ending up in the hospital again. I wish so much that people would accept me, that I could get on with them, get and keep a job and have a semblance of a normal life. When will I ever be happy again? The first time in the hospital was a suicidal threat. The second time I actually put the sash from a robe around my neck, but I couldn't go through with the rest. I'm a coward and I never can, it seems. I wonder what a third time would bring? Maybe it would be "the charm" everyone talks about the third time being?

6. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

You sound as if you need someone to just be kind to you and make you feel accepted. I am undergoing therapy right now because like you I get very conscious about what people think of me and if I annoy them or not. One persons comment can topple you even if they don't know it can. I strongly advise you consult someone like a counsellor or therapist through your doctor so that you don't reach that boiling point. I strongly beleive it is beyond no one to commit suicide if pushed hard enough and when you're having a breakdown the despair gives you even more ability to go through with it But it really might not be what you want and I hope it isn't. Getting better is tough yes but personally it is worth more than a quick death.
    See if you can see a therapist or not and keep using this site as well for how others have dealt with their problems. Rule number one, know your enemy. You've got to learn why you feel this way and tackle it.
    Using this therapist you can learn to understand why you push people away and why you shouldnt always think you are in the wrong for other peoples comments. This in itself will give you that sense of calm compared to the stress you normally get from these situations. As I say it takes time but it is definitly worth a try.
    Let us know how things get on and if you struggle or fear gettign therapy. Nothing seems easy when you feel like this so don't be downheartned if you feel too nervous or stressed to seek out professional help just yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.