nervous vomiting

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by KittyGirl, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

yes, I do it...
    I'm ALWAYS nervous-- a big ball of nerves...
    It happens frequently.
    I try not to, but tend to get acid reflux and full on vomit at least once a week. Normally a couple of times a day when I'm forced to be in social situations.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Have you been able to conquer it?

I've stopped mentally forcing myself to purge for the most part, but I assume that this is a problem as well.

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

For months I've had pretty bad nausea issues and I'm pretty sure that it is slightly nerve related. I rarely vomit because of it though..just come really close to it.

3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Have you sought help from a doctor? Anti emetics, or anti anxiety pills may help.

It may be that due to purging, your vomit reflex (sure there's a more technical name for that) does not work as it should, so you are sick easier than you might otherwise have been. Again, something to talk to the doctor about.

I have never been sick through nerves (partly because I'm phobic of it so REALLY keep it in), but have got to the point where I thought I might be, and I also know of plenty of people who do get sick or have gotten sick through nerves. Its almost like extreme butterflies in the stomach, which is a very common responses to nerves.

Have you had any help for your anxiety?

4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

yes-- it's ongoing help though... nothing seems to be helping me. I'm changing meds again on the 5th of april when I go to see my family doctor.

I think you're right in thinking that my purging has made my vomit reflex more sensitive though, because I've always gotten stagefright before I perform anything; but back in highschool and elementary school I didn't go to the extreme of throwing up before every performance.
    This seems to be something that developed in college; and more frequently as my agoraphobia came back into the picture.

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

When you talk to your doctor maybe explain about this because there are a variety of meds that could potentially help ( inaddition to the anti emetics and anti anxiety meds, another might be something like Omeprazole which can help with excess stomach acid and acid reflux).

Its good you are having help. Are they aware of these difficulties?

6. someone uk

someone uk Well-Known Member

i do get nauseous when i am nervous i have only ever actually thrown up once but since i was around a girl liked at the time it wasn't really what i wanted to happen but i do like go on a night night out and like start the night feeling really nauseous

7. soniyajack

soniyajack Member

If you're nervous when you shouldn't be, see a psychiatrist because you may need medication to calm down. If it's just in place of sweaty palms, work on relaxation techniques. I would suggest actually seeing a counselor in that case is because vomiting is actually really hard on your body and can cause permanent damage. Practicing deep breathing may not be fast enough. That is, by the way, how I stopped blushing constantly. Just deep breathing and doing yoga in the morning.

8. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

If you’re making yourself sick on purpose as a result of your anxiety, it could be because purging causes a release of endorphins, which would temporarily help your anxiety - a sort of self medication. I have been bulimic for years and though I rarely binge and purge now, i still purge when i am feeling anxious because I find it calms me down. The cycle isn’t much different self harming I guess. I struggled to explain this to my counsellor, perhaps because she's never purged in her life! i agree with the other posters that perhaps anxiety treatment would help.

Take care,
    :rose:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.