Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Nissa, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nissa

Nissa Guest

I have been cutting for several months now. Mostly on my legs, but recently more on my upper arms... the problem is that on Wednesday I go in for a Gastroscopy to finally figure out what is wrong with my stomach. Will they see the cuts? If they do... will they tell mother? Will I even have to change? I really don't know what to expect... and I am real nervous

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

What are you afraid of if they do tell your mother?
    Maybe they will want you to seek professional help, for which you could find healthier ways of coping with whatever is causing you to cut yourself up.
    Getting help can be a scary but you will be thankful in the long run. I could only imagine the worst outcome of this is that you get the help you need.
    Unless there are things about your mother you'd rather not share.
    But otherwise don't be so afraid, either way you will be ok :hug:
  3. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Nissa and welcome to Sf. Try not to worry too much about the Gastroscopy, it is a little uncomfortable swallowing the tube but not unbearable. You may well be given sedation to make the procedure even easier.
    As for you arms, here in the UK you do change into a gown but even if you do, no one will pass comment on your cuts, they are not the reason you are there.
    The staff will not talk to your mother about your cuts, confidentiality will be maintained.

Take care Hazel
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.