never done it myself but was wondering.....

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by painful, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. painful

painful Well-Known Member

what does it feel like? does it make you feel better? <mod edit, TDM -- methods>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Dont go down this road. nothing is gained from it, just more emotional pain for harming yourself.
    <mod edit, TDM -- removing quoted material>

Self harm is not a way to cope, it is a horrible way to deal with things, and yoru left with the scars for life. You dont need it. Get therapy to cope.
  3. painful

sorry how do i get rid of this thread?
  4. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

hey there
    the thing is about self harm is that it's an addiction. if you start and you get whatever it is you want, you will become addicted to it. i swear its got something to do with adrenaline being released into the blood stream.
    with all addictions unless you stop it, it will get worse. and worse. and worse. and while it may have been a secondary problem i.e. to soothe the problem that was there in the first place, it quickly becomes a huge problem.
    please don't! I have met no one who looks back on self harm with fond memories or constructs it as the right way of dealing with issues. compassion yes that's different. but it's something you start and then regret it. not worth it. get proper help
  5. painful

its just that so many people do it i just want to know why. like i said ive never done it but one of my family members does. it always bothered me up until recently ive been a little curious. its seems like it really helps.
  6. The Scream

The Scream Well-Known Member

i used to cut myself a few years ago, anyway, no it doesn't solve anything, people who see the scars just talk bad about you, it only gives you more crap to deal with... and you can't wear t-shirts anymore cause people might see your scars... and the pain you feel from cutting only lasts so long, when that pain is gone your emotional pain will still be there, unsolved..

really not worh it

you can't delete your thread i think, but you can hit the edit button and delete the last question =]
  7. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

If you really want me to close/delete this for you, I will. I have left it open cause I figure it's the last part that you want to get rid of, and either way it's gone now.

Don't start, really. Trust me. You'll regret it forever and ever and ever. What does it feel like? Well it depends on the person. I used it as a means to stop feeling numb, or if not then as a way to punish myself. Did it make me feel better? When I started, maybe, but then it just spirals into the realms of addiction -- much quicker than you'd think, too and it's like a drug, cause the more you do it, the more you need to do it again next time to get to where you were before. It also takes way too fucking long to get out of it again. I have been trying to stop for three years now, and while I haven't cut myself for months, I still harm myself and can't stop yet. Even when I *do* manage to stop it'll chase me for a while yet -- I have scars I have been trying to get rid of since I was 13.

Would I recommend it? God, no! Don't start.

8. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

You may or may not have seen this before, but i'll paste the link for you to read it.

Part of me wishes I would have seen this first. Because now its coming up for 4 years since I first started, and as the end of that says 'You will
    wish you never made that first cut because while you absolutely hate cutting...
    At the same time, you love it and can't live with out it... '

Self harming is not a way of living, yet I know nothing else like it anymore. And no matter how much work I can do on it with professionals, I cant seem to stop.

The scars are terrible. Hard as fuck to hide..I have my younger brother and sister BEGGING me to take them swimming, and I can't. With cadets i've have the opportunity to go abroad and do activities such as scuba diving, but I cant. My mom pesters me to go out of the UK abroad on holidays like we used to..and I cant. I'm restricted by these god damn ugly marks on my body.
  9. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

Don't start. It is like getting hooked on drink or drugs. It solves nothing either. You still hurt emotionally, you also now hurt physically and you are scarred as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.