Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by WishICould, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WishICould

WishICould Well-Known Member

Is it possible to beat depression? I mean really truly beat it, once and for all, or is it just a pipe dream?

After 4 years of some of the worse downers that seem to last 3 - 4 months at a time I am beginning to think my whole life will rotate around it.

I'm ok at the moment and have been for around 3 weeks which is fantastic, yet I feel that I KNOW I'm only weeks if not days away from my next crash.

Do you know anyone who truly has beat it? Is it really possible?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes it is possible i know people have beaten it and gone back to their work their lifes. If you are having trouble with crashing then you meds are not right and you may also need therapy to change the distorted thoughts but it is beatable
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Has anyone on here actually beat depression once and for all?
  4. Raphael1

Raphael1 Well-Known Member

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i wouldn't say i've beaten depression but i have a greater understanding of it. i've educated myself about mood disorders (i'm bipolar). i know how to to ask for help when i need it. i know to check myself in to the hospital if i'm feeling suicidal. i've learned to recognize my triggers. the depression still returns but i am much more in control of it. i no longer give in to the lies it tells me.
  6. VCircle

VCircle Active Member

I reckon I beat depression for about 10 years. I had some lows in that time and did positive things to help the situation. I had been on medication plus did a truck load of CBT therapy and put a lot of positive things in my life.

After having about 5 years of stress and things piling up - i have just gone into a deep depression again. So the two bad episodes have been 13 years apart. So for that time in between - i would have "been in remission" for the majority of it.

It really, really can be done - that you can beat depression.
  7. WishICould

WishICould Well-Known Member

Guess there is always room for hope then, hey?

Have waited a long time for an appointment with a pyschiatrist and have awaken to deep snow so I guess I wont be seeing her today, damn. I so needed to see her today. I haven't left the house for weeks and now I guess it could be several more weeks until I do.

I know there are several factors they may trigger my level of depression but lately I think my general health may be the contributing factor. I feel so lathargic, tired and weak.

Is this more likely one of the 'causes' or 'results' of my depression?
  8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think you should call your pdoc and talk on phone if you can't get in When one is physically unwell it can cause depression i hope by calling your pdoc at least you can get what is on your mind out there and get some response back take care
  9. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

those symptoms (lethargic, tired, weak) sound like a result of your depression...but i can't say that for may be on meds that are doing this to you...
    my symptoms include severe fatigue...i'm tired ALL THE TIME, and i can sleep 15 hours a day everyday if i had new meds are helping a lot...they are amazing...

on beating're basically asking if it can be cured...i would say no, but it's possible to treat it and be "in remission"'s a any other disease, it's going to take a lot of time and effort, physically and's going to take medical intervention...and somedays, you're gonna have a good day...others will be bad...but in the end, i would say you beat depression everyday that you make it through the day...

yesterday, i was writing suicide was wonderful! very few suicidal thoughts...but i'm in the middle of a depressed phase, which for me usually last about 1 year - 1.5 years...but i get a good phase in between episodes, which last about 1 year to 3 years (my remission!)!!!
    right now, i've finally reached the point in therapy where i'm making changes so that i can protect myself from the disease...and these changes are VERY DIFFICULT to make...and it's a constant fight...but i have hope that things will get better...

and that's all we can do...fight for your life...think about the good days...those days are worth the bad ones...and think about the people you love, and those who love you - who would never be the same without you...and for me, i think about a food i really like, and then realize there's no food in death, which is another reason to live...

it gets better...then it gets worse...but it still gets keep fighting...we're all on your side, and we'll join your army anytime you need it...
  10. StevenSiew

StevenSiew Well-Known Member

Beating depression is easy.

I had done it Thousands of times .....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.