Never Give Up 22/08

if you look at the people who stay focused on their goals, you start to realize that it’s not the events [or the results] that make them different. It’s the commitment to the process. They fall in love with the daily practice, not the individual event (result). What’s funny, of course, is that this focus on the process is what will allow you to enjoy the results anyway. – James Clear

If you want to be a great writer, then having a best-selling book is wonderful. But the only way to reach that result is to fall in love with the process of writing. – James Clear
If you want to be in the best shape of your life, then losing 20 pounds might be necessary. But the only way to reach that result is to fall in love with the process of eating healthy and exercising consistently. – James Clear

If you want to become significantly better at anything, you have to fall in love with the process of doing it, rather than merely dreaming about the results that you want. – James Clear
  • Focusing on the outcomes and goals is our natural tendency, but focusing on the process leads to more results over the long-run. – James Clear 4:08

• In fact, being in the middle of procrastination is often more painful than being in the middle of doing the work. The guilt, shame, and anxiety that you feel while

• procrastinating are usually worse than the effort and energy you have to put in while you're working. The problem is not doing the work, it's starting the work. – James Clear

• Only do [the THING YOU LOVE] while doing [the THING YOU PROCRASTINATE ON], for example, Only watch your favorite show while ironing or doing household chores. – James Clear

• If you don't do what you say you'll do [on your to-do list], then donate money to a charity you hate. The idea here is to create a new consequence that happens if you don't do the [thing] right now. – James Clear

• One of my favorite ways to make habits easier is to use The 2-Minute Rule, which states, “When you start a new habit, it should take less than two minutes to do.” The idea is to make it as easy as possible to get started and then trust that momentum will carry you further into the task after you begin. Once you start doing something, it’s easier to continue doing it. The 2–Minute Rule overcomes procrastination and laziness by making it so easy to start taking action that you can’t say no. – James Clear
At the end of each work day, write down the six most important things you need to accomplish tomorrow. Do not write down more than six tasks. Prioritize those six items in order of their true importance. When you arrive tomorrow, concentrate only on the first task. Work until the first task is finished before moving on to the second task. – James Clear
  • Getting started is just as important as succeeding at all. – James Clear

• Modern society loves multi-tasking. The myth of multi-tasking is that being busy is synonymous with being better. The exact opposite is true. Having fewer priorities leads to better work. Study world-class experts in nearly any field—athletes, artists, scientists, teachers, CEOs—and you’ll discover one characteristic runs through all of them: focus. The reason is simple. You can’t be great at one task if you’re constantly dividing your time ten different ways. Mastery requires focus and consistency. – James Clear

• consistency is an essential component of success – James Clear
Getting Started is More Important Than Succeeding. Being the best isn't required to be happy or fulfilled, but being in the game is necessary. – James Clear
If you’re working on something important, then you’ll never feel ready [to start]. Successful People Start Before They Feel Ready (before they feel prepared, qualified and ready to start ) – James Clear

• God doesn’t help those who help themselves, God helps those who persevere – anonymous
  • https://jamesclear.com/chosen-ones
  • the “chosen ones” choose themselves. – James Clear

• You’re bound to feel uncertain, unprepared, and unqualified. But let me assure you of this: what you have right now is enough. You can plan, delay, and revise all you want, but trust me, what you have now is enough to start. It doesn't matter if you're trying to start a business, lose weight, write a book, or achieve any number of goals… who you are, what you have, and what you know right now is good enough to get going. – James Clear

• We all start in the same place: no money, no resources, no contacts, no experience. The difference is that some people — the winners — choose to start anyway. – James Clear

• If you never feel uncomfortable, then you're never trying anything new. In other words, feeling stupid is a good thing. – James Clear

• I wish I was a better writer when I started writing. I wish I was a smarter entrepreneur when I started building businesses. I wish I was a better photographer when I picked up a camera. But more than anything, I'm glad I chose to start even though I wasn't very good in the beginning. – James Clear

• You don’t need to be great at what you do, you just need to be the one person who actually decides to do it. – James Clear

• If you set your bar at “amazing,” it’s awfully difficult to start.
    —Seth Godin

• Claiming that you need to “learn more” or “get all of your ducks in a row” can often be a crutch that prevents you from moving forward on the stuff that actually matters. But don’t let visions of what is optimal prevent you from getting started in the first place. An imperfect start can always be improved, but obsessing over a perfect plan will never take you anywhere on its own. – James Clear

• If you want to start exercising [or any other difficult task that you would avoid], set a rule for yourself where you are not allowed to exercise for more than 5 minutes. You have to stop exercising after 5 minutes. – James Clear

• Do the most important thing first each day: We often assume that productivity means getting more things done each day. Wrong. Being productive is about maintaining a steady, average speed on a few things, not maximum speed on everything. Productivity is getting important things done consistently. - James Clear

• The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others – Mahatma Gandhi 1982! {11:20/2019-08-20}

• Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. - Albert Einstein

• Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person. - Albert Einstein

• We know from daily life that we exist for other people first of all, for whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends.”― Albert Einstein

• “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently.” ― Maya Angelou 11:44!

• Objects in motion tend to stay in motion. When it comes to being productive, this means one thing: the most important thing is to find a way to get started. Once you get started, it is much easier to stay in motion. Motivation often comes after starting. – James Clear

• Mitch set a rule for himself where he couldn't stay in the gym for more than 5 minutes at the beginning. He had to go every day, but he wasn't allowed to stay for 6 minutes. He was focused on building the habit of not missing workouts. After doing that for a month or two, he had established a routine of going to the gym and he started to focus on doing more difficult workouts. Today, Mitch is over 100 pounds lighter – James Clear

• [when he started out to exercise], Mitch set a rule for himself where he couldn't stay in the gym for more than 5 minutes at the beginning. He had to go every day, but he wasn't allowed to stay for 6 minutes. He was focused on building the habit of not missing workouts. After doing that for a month or two, he had established a routine of going to the gym and he started to focus on doing more difficult workouts. Today, Mitch is over 100 pounds lighter. Without the habit, every strategy is useless. Build the habit first, worry about the results later – James Clear

• Temptation bundling works by linking an action you want to do with an action you need to do [but don’t feel like doing]. In Byrne’s case, he bundled watching Netflix TV (the thing he wanted to do) with riding his stationary bike (exercise - the thing he needed to do). Temptation bundling is one way to apply a psychology theory known as Premack’s Principle. Named after the work of professor David Premack, the principle states that “more probable behaviors will reinforce less probable behaviors.– James Clear

• You’re more likely to find a behavior attractive if you get to do one of your favorite things at the same time. Perhaps you want to hear about the latest celebrity gossip, but you need to get in shape. Using temptation bundling, you could only read the tabloids and watch reality shows at the gym. Maybe you want to get a pedicure, but you need to clean out your email inbox. Solution: only get a pedicure while processing overdue work emails. – James Clear

• Create a two-column list: In column one, write down the pleasures you enjoy and the temptations that you want to do. In column two, write down the tasks and behaviors you should be doing, but often procrastinate on. Then, browse your list and see if you can link one of your instantly gratifying “want” behaviors with something you “should” be doing, for example, Only listen to audiobooks or podcasts you love while exercising. – James Clear

• After [HABIT I NEED], I will [HABIT I WANT]. For example, After I call three potential clients (need), I will check ESPN and watch sports (want). The hope is that eventually you’ll look forward to calling three clients [a difficult habit that pays off in the long-run] because it means you get to check Facebook or watch the latest sports news. Doing the thing you need to do means you get to do the thing you want [and love] to do. That’s known as habit stacking– James Clear

• There are many factors that contribute to success, but you can make a strong argument that consistently accomplishing tasks which are important, but not urgent is the one ability that separates top performers from everyone else. The tasks that are important are rarely urgent. – James Clear

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00