Never Good Enough

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Brittless, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

Today, I was awarded an extra scholarship for university. Something really exciting and I felt very proud of it because I have worked hard. And yet I call to tell my family and they make me feel completely and utterly worthless. Don't even acknowledge the achievement or support me just basically tell me my life is shit and what I'm doing equates to nothing. No congratulations. No matter what I do, what I work through, it's never good enough. I am never good enough. I hate myself.

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Congrats. :D

I am sorry that your family views you that way.

Brittless likes this.
  3. Brittless

Thanks Rockclimbinggirl. :)

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

That is awesome, congrats! You should be proud of something you worked hard for. I am sorry your family reacted negatively, but don't let them ruin your happiness over getting the scholarship.

Brittless likes this.
  5. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Britt, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! On the scholarship :) I don't understand your families response, but don't let them define you, feel good about your achievement......you should.
    Brian

Inspire&Inquire and Brittless like this.
  6. Brittless

Thank you witty. I will try my best.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  7. Brittless

Thanks Brian :D true. they don't define me. Ill just have to remember that.

Brian777 likes this.
  8. PearlLgrant

PearlLgrant New Member

congratulations

9. Brittless

Thank you :)

10. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

Must be hard for them to repress how proud of you they are. I guarantee you they are proud of you, they just don't show it. If I had a kid, and he or she had difficulties, I would encourage them, support them more. But if they were independent, strong willed, could achieve anything they set their mind to, I would probably behave the same way your parents are. It means they have high expectations for you, you're lucky. They don't support you because they know you don't need it.

11. Brittless

.. No. They are not repressing anything. The fact that I am here on this site proves I have plenty of difficulties as of late and am seeking some type of support. Yes, I would like it to come from my family but no longer expect it. If they have high expectations of me, which I honestly don't think they care enough to have any expectations of me, then they should be happy to hear I am trying to meet them. And I sincerely hope you wouldn't act the same way as my family did.

Inspire&Inquire likes this.
  12. Inspire&Inquire

Alright, you're right that was presumptuous of me, I don't know you or your family.

13. Inspire&Inquire

At any rate, I think you ought to tell them how you feel, if for any reason, to know whether they really care about you.

14. Brittless

You're right to an extent. Their lack of support has lead to me to be more independent but as I am vulnerable these days due to circumstances out of my control, leaves me wanting. I'm not sure I'm ready to get into an argument with them.

Inspire&Inquire likes this.
  15. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

How did you inform the family? Congratulations!

16. Brittless

Through a phone call... And pretty straightfowardly. Thanks.

17. Zeke171

Zeke171 Active Member

Nice job...my family is same way...

18. Brittless

Thank you and i'm sorry to hear that. Can be tough.

19. Zeke171

Zeke171 Active Member

Yes indeed...it seems my family just doesn't realize how depressed I am. "man-up,buckle down,its your own fault your depressed,blah-blah-blah"...like,I really want to feel suicidal every freakin' day.No compassion in my family, that's for sure.

20. Brittless

I used to think being ignored or invisible or at least unheard has made me stronger and yes in some ways it has made me more independent and more of a free thinker and I respect that but when I am going through one of the most awful times in my life, I need that support.

To be honest though I think some people just don't want to deal with it. Or don't know how to so they turn to that "Buckle up" mentality. It's very wrong though. Sorry you have to deal with this. I hope there is a doctor there you can see about your depression. I see that mental illness while still misunderstood is starting to be accepted and acknowledged more and more these days.