Never had a job? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by resistance, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Just wondering how many people here have never had a job, or who haven't worked for a long time.

I'm 19, and I feel even worse when I think that I have never had a job. It feels like if I don't get one NOW I will become 'unemployable'. I have applied for jobs but I don't get far because of my 'referees'. On application forms you normally need to put down two people and I put down the contact details of the guy who used to be my Head of 6th Form at school but I struggle with the second...

I have a decent education level. 11 GCSE A - C and a full A Level in Sociology (a lot happened in the last year of my A Levels and I fell behind A LOT).

I want to get into a medical career, perferably ambulance service and I do somewhat have experience. I am a carer for my father and I have been applying for care assistant jobs, I am a fully qualified first aider with the British Red Cross, attend public events to provide first aid cover when I can, I'm also an emergency responder and if there are any crisises in this area of the UK (such as floods etc) I get called out
    as emergency cover so I do have the experience. Well, I have SOME experience, but maybe it's not enough??

I just get depressed at the thought NO ONE is going to employ me. I don't have any previous employers to fall back on. Any job application I make gets rejected and I am really worried no one is going to want to employ me.

It may sound stupid. I'm 19, why would people NOT want to employ me? But, I haven't worked before. Previous experience is almost always wanted, right? It's favoured. Other applicants, I'm sure, have a greater chance at getting a job than me but not only that, in the CV/resume, you've got to put down your good points etc and that's another thing I struggle with. Personal acheivements?? Um...

Then there's the interviews themselves. I tend to panic and that in itself tends to mess up the interview.

Thinking I'm never going to get a job depresses me. Thinking I'm never going to get into the ambulance service depresses me. I want a job, but no one gives me a chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  2. abandof

abandof Well-Known Member

I haven't had a job either, and i dont have any qualifications >.<
    But anyway everyone has to start somewhere :smile:
    Why dont you try applying for the smaller jobs first (eg shop assisants etc...) just to get references.
    with those qualifications i dont see why anyone wouldn't employ you anyway :blink:
    Give it a go anyway :tongue:

Good luck ^^

P.S. that sounded like a lecture... its not lol :tongue:

3. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Getting a job these days is more about who you know than what you know.

A degree is helpful, but how does that set someone apart from the other millions with degrees?

Get out there, start off with an internship or simply volunteer if you have to. The important thing is to build strong relationships with the people you're working with, so that you can add your experiences onto the resume and add the contacts as references.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Voluntary work was good for me.
    On a professional level, I got experience, references and it looked good on my CV.
    On a social level I got out of the house, spoke to people and made friends.
    On a personal level I felt I was doing something worthwhile and good with my life.
    Shame I had to give it all up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  5. heyyyo

heyyyo Guest

I don't know if this will help, but why not try padding your resume. I know it sounds dishonest but it happens. I mean, you don't have to make outright lies, just make the experience you have sound a bit more professional. for example, you cared for your dad, so maybe put down that you were the caretaker for so and so for this many years and got paid blank and blank...and then list the duties you performed..etc.
    when i started looking for jobs i had a hard time too because i had no experience so i basically went through my history of "work" i've done and made it sound legitimate.
    with the references, you can use friends or people you've volunteered with, or tell your friends to pretend they volunteered with you. most of the time, references aren't ever contacted by the employer, and if they are, your friends will help you out:wink:
    i don't think it's immoral to fib a bit when trying to get a job. it's hard for someone who doesnt have experience because you need experience to get experience...it's a catch-22. so i say there's no harm in making yourself sound employable to get experience so you can have a real resume in the future. just don't make up stuff you can't back up. and when you do get legitimate experience, you can start leaving out the "experience" that got you through the door:smile:
    ok, was this bad advice??:unsure:

6. Blackness

Blackness Guest

all I can say is keep trying hun.
    Thats all you can do. and improve your resume, maybe do some volunteer work..

7. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

well it seems as if you do have experience as a sort and you should use those contacts as references, it may not be a paying job but you have been active as a volunteer so they should consider that. im sure more than 50% of the time they never really call the references anyway.
    i have absolutely no qualifications and i managed to bluff my way into a job, even tho i tense up incredibly during interviews and look like a toss.
    puffing up your cv is also good, ive spoken to a lot of HR ppl and they say it is very normal to exaggerate a bit, they expect it, its about selling yourself, everyone has to do it.
    Also perhaps you should look for a copy of a TNT, its a south african mag, not sure what area youre in but they have a lot of carer jobs on offer for little or no experience, it might be only temporary because they offer it to working holiday makers but it could put your foot in the door. employers then see you are getting the experience and you are actively working.

hang in there & good luck

8. danni

danni Chat Buddy

well i'm 17 but havn't had a job since june 3 because i hated where i work at and still looking for a new one :hug:

9. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Thank you guys. It never even crossed my mind to ask the people who I volunteer with to provide references for me. I don't really want to work in a shop or anything like that, I think it would bore me silly but I will consider it. I'll keep trying, I just can't help thinking the longer I go without a job, the harder it will be for me to get one. Thanks guys. :grouphug:

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I didn't work until after i finished college except for things like babysitting, work study and odds and ends when I could find them. I included volunteer things and people on my resume. Don't feel bad that you haven't worked much. Community service things are important too.

11. lilboyblue

lilboyblue Well-Known Member

I didnt get my first real job until I was 31 or 32. Now at 36 I've just started a career in nursing. have you considered working in a hospital as a nurses aid or patient care tech? your volunteer experience may be helpful in getting such a job.

12. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

My first job after college was horrible, they were treating me like shit. Wish i had started some volunteering work to get some work experience first. You can do it.
    :hug:
    Beret xxx

13. I never had a job till I was nearly 20. Now I have got one steady part time job and I recently did a stint of work that paid me £10/hour - not bad money.

I applied to loads of stuff since the age of 16 - tesco, boots, reception work, the library, clothes shops, Mc Donnalds, a factory. They all turned me down. Yes, I never passed the Mc Donnalds interview, lol. And tesco didnt like my application form even though I was prepared to work wherever, whenever.

That really knocked my confidence cos I was alreadly feeling bad about myself. I had great GCSEs - 9A*s then I got all As at As level and A level. Howver, when it came to social situations like interviews, I did not do so well.

The more interviews I took, the worse I felt and the worse I got.

Then my priorities in life changed cos things happened. I stopped caring about not having a job, I was therefore no longer nervous and I found a job. I get paid nearly £7 per hour to persuade members of the public to sign direct debits for charity. Its way better than Mc Donnalds etc...then when I applied for the £10 per hour job, I was not the slightest bit afraid and I didnt care if I was rejected. I got the job. Both are much better than factory or checkout work. Just goes to show that when people turn you down it doesnt always say anything bad about you. And you will find something.

If you get asked if you have experience, Id say, either blag it, or do what I did - say its your first job and so you dont have experience, but although experience is important, its not everything. Its sometimes good to employ someone with fresh ideas.

And dont let it get you down.

Incidently, if anyone is looking for a job, my boss is looking for more people if you live in Midlands/ Anglia region and have a car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.