never had a job

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Unregisteredddd, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm 21 and I've never had a job. The more time goes by the more I worry about it. I know how to write a cv but I don't have a clue what to put on it. I'm such a freak :( Anyone else in the same boat?

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

There are many people that haven't had a job and are uncertain about how to do it. I don't know where you are from, but in the US job service can help prepare you and walk you through the steps giving pointers on what to include and how to be successful in your quest. You are not alone in this dilemma. :hug:

3. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

There are alot of places that can help you create a resume, perhaps family or friends.

It's fairly easy, there's sample resumes or pre-made where you just enter your information you can print off the internet. What kind of education do you have, training? HS Diploma? Can you work a cash register?

4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I wanted to add, don't worry if you have no experience. This is probably one of the best times to gain some experience, because people are low on the workers that they need due to the economic crisis. I myself am gaining some work experience in another field, and because it was voluntary they were more than happy to have me. So maybe chose a field and write to a bunch of companies and ask if you can shadow someone for 3 days a week just to get a feel for it and a work related reference possibly.

5. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Im CIPD acreddited and used to work as a recruitment consultant. If you want help doing a CV Im more than happy to help, just spanner me a text copy of what you've done so far on a PM and I'll take a look.

6. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

Right now there are a lot of industries/jobs/careers that are willing to do on site training and accept entry level positions. You're 21 which means you're old enough for almost any job excluding a few specialized ones. Most hazmat jobs for example require you to be the age of 25. You probably have little interview experience because of your lack of job history which means if youre nervous and dont do as well as you want the interviewer probably wont count that against you at all knowing its your first time.

I'm in a similar situation as you (sort of) and recommend figuring out what exactly makes you feel like you cant accomplish getting a job. You didnt really say why or how youre in the situation you are in other than you're 21 and havent had a job yet. And if thats youre main concern youve got nothing to worry about. If you want to chat PM me. :)

7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Something you could do, if you want to bump out your CV a bit, is to do volunteer work because it can get you good references, get you experience, and also give you some confidence about being in the working world.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah and I don't want one. Why feel a freak? If you're unable to work for whatever reason, you're unable to work. You don't need to feel obligated to work, or feeling you should know how to fill up a CV if couldn't work in the past.

9. Thank you so much for all your advise. I think I will try to apply for work experience or volunteer work. Thanks again!

10. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

go and flip some burgers at MacDonalds for a few months and then apply for a job. During the interview, tell the interviewer that due to economic conditions, you were unable to get a job so you had no choice but to flip some burgers. Given the current global market conditions, this is one of the best ways to get a job if you have not worked before.

11. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I was in the same boat, I actually posted a thread about it a while ago. I was worried as I never had a job before and the longer time went on, the less chance etc... but not long after I posted I got accepted for a job. There is hope for you! As for the CV, the thought of writing one is daunting - actually I need to update mine but hate the thought of it and keep putting it off. Most of it is facts - your name, address & e-mail/phone number if you have them. Don't forget your national insurance number if you're in the UK. Then put down where you attended school/college... qualifications etc...

The part you need to be thinking of is your personal statement about yourself. Seriously now, every tiny little thing you can think of can be made to sound fantastic with the right use of words. What do you like doing? What have you achieved? Anything small counts. What are you good at? Everything, big and small. Feel free to post here or if you don't want to, register and PM me and I wouldn't mind helping.

Referees don't need to be past employers either. You could fall back on teachers etc or the person who works at the local shop. (Well, I am pretty sure you could use anyone as long as they're not related etc, need to check up on that).

Volunteering is great too. You learn a lot and develop many qualities via volunteering. Good luck.

12. jamie2

jamie2 Active Member

I also had this very same problem when I was younger. Ask yourself these questions, Are you in school? Why do you want a job? Where would you like to work?

Be very careful if you are in school and get a job, especially if you do not need it. I made the mistake of getting a job while I was in school and it only led to problems. Depending on where you work you will face a load of drama, and emotional annoyances that you might not be prepare for especially if you do not have experience. Please consider whether or not you really need to work. One of the main reason I am on this message board is because working actually ruined me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.