New (and dealing with ideation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have other support in my life, professional and familial, but it is usually nice to talk to people that understand the constant feeling of wanting to kill myself. How much therapy is one supposed to take before this backgroud noise goes away. Know it never goes away completely and there are no magic pills, but I get tired of being o the struggle bus.

Nice to meet you all.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi @Choriandr

Nice to meet you too, I'm glad you've found us.
but it is usually nice to talk to people that understand the constant feeling of wanting to kill myself
This is why peer to peer support can be so important. Professionals are of course necessary in our recovery but often they have no personal experience of what we're actually going through. To have people who truly understand is invaluable.

Hope to see you around the forums. Keep posting okay? *hug

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Nice to meet you @Choriandr
You've to come the right place to meet people who can understand suicidal ideation. Most here have been there. Throw down some posts and you'll see you aren't alone. I hope to see you around.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there @Choriandr

Welcome to the SF webpage. I'm glad to hear you do have support but yes, you have definitely come to the right place if you are looking for like minded people to talk amongst in a peer to peer safe environment. We will never judge you and just encourage you to open up and you can make amazing friends on here.

A warm welcome *hug

How much therapy is one supposed to take before this backgroud noise goes away
Therapy can be good if it can help you express something that you want to express, or if you're going to learn something from the therapist. Sometimes just getting out of bed and showing up to a regular appointment can be helpful.

Some styles of therapy can be a better fit than others. Likewise, some therapists.

Not everyone benefits from therapy though, and if you feel like therapy isn't helping, you might want to try some other treatment methods.

The links in my signature can connect you to some information.

Personally, I've felt like acupuncture, traditional Chinese herbal medicine, and dietary changes helped far more than therapy ever did.

I hope that things can get better soon

key726

Therapy is good if the way you process situations or how they impact you is exacerbating things. Talking it out with someone disconnected from your life helps many people. Maybe that isn’t your main issue, though. There’s a lot of evidence that improving nutrition i.e. eating more healthily, along with a little exercise, is one of the most essential things someone in these head spaces can do. There’s no magic cure, there’s only improvement.

Personally, I've felt like acupuncture, traditional Chinese herbal medicine, and dietary changes helped far more than therapy ever did.
I wish that were covered under my insurance because I think acupuncture would be a good thing to try.
Have also been working on a consistent sleep schedule. Insomnia is a b****. I take my meds and usually sleep so its better than it used to be. Working on supplements and such to deal with deficiencies. Like people said, diet and exercise can help quite a bit. Those can be a struggle though because it is very expensive to buy healthy foods here. I would probably live on fruit, salad, and yogurt, with the occasional microwave burrito. *hysterical Exercise has become an issue because I have a slew of physical issues to go with the mental ones. Right now walking is all I've got, and I have to be careful doing that. I enjoy walking so go for 2+ hours sometimes. But I get home and my ankles are messed up and I have to sit. Feel like I'm whining. lol Just keep trying new things is all I can do. :D Also gonna see if someone will "prescribe" physical therapy because that is likely to work. Has worked for me in the past.
I've been in and out of therapy for 16-17 years. I have a hard time opening up about important things, and because of my insurance my therapist gets changed too often. Hopefully the new one will be able to hang onto me as a patient. I have started (in the last week) to compile things so that I can show her stuff and then maybe talk about it. Took in some pics, and some notes I'd taken before. That helped, but of course threw me a little off kilter because I opened a very large can of worms. She was prepared. Gave me two numbers for local crisis peeps if I need to go in, her phone number at work (I never call because I'm baffled about what to say lol), two hotline numbers, and we made a written safety plan. I think we're going to be able to work really well together, she was def ready for trauma work. I find that comforting.
This is so long. *facepalm* Thank you all for the welcome and some new ideas I can try.

You're welcome!
It's not that long. It's also ok to make posts as long as you want
I wish that were covered under my insurance because I think acupuncture would be a good thing to try
If there is an acupuncture school near you, it may have a teaching clinic that offers reduced-cost, or even free, treatment.

You might also want to try community-style acupuncture. Treatment is usually in a group setting, but they sometimes also have private treatment rooms. If you search for "community style acupuncture in [your area]", you may be able to find a clinic that way. Treatments are usually about $20. There's a listing of POCA-affiliated community style clinics in the US at www.POCAcoop.com.

Insomnia is a b****
I have trouble with insomnia too sometimes. It sounds like it's been more severe and persistent for you, but I know from experience how bad it can be, especially if it's happening day after day.

I've already launched into making suggestions, but if you'd like me to try to offer some more, I could try to do that.

I hope you can get PT again, and I'm glad you like your new therapist

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hello there and welcome to SF. I've got a feeling you are going to fit in really well here. (Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :) )

Odd as it sounds your initial post is about getting rid of the feelings of suicidal ideation and such but there's an offshoot of people out there who feel as though sometimes, in cases of long term suicidal tendencies that we should try to just embrace that feeling for what it is. Not to just enjoy it and sit and around and try to feel happy with it - that would be silly - but to realize that it's not going anywhere and to accept that and just try to ride out each storm as it comes like waves in the ocean, right? "Yes, I know this is a shitty time, I feel like this and am going to for a while and then it'll be better." (I don't usually write about this here because it can be aggravating to folks but I sense you might like this point of view --- but I apologize, sincerely - if you do not)

Hey, while you're here how about you check out Jim's Cafe near the bottom of the forum. Each day there is a new thread and some of the more regular users check in and say hi. Once you join here, you're "in". We're happy to have you. This place is pretty unique, you'll see. Keep your head up, okay? See you around.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00