New Chat Rule (Poll)

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Aquariamethystea, Apr 25, 2008.

What do you think about the new chat rule?

1. Hate it!

13 vote(s)
  2. Dislike it

4 vote(s)
  3. Like it

6 vote(s)
  4. Love it!

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will

Will Staff Alumni

The rule itself is somewhat...well, not very useful, it seems to really target very minor things that are somewhat...a waste of time. But, I don't think anyone really appreciates this new rule as a valuable rule, that ensures the safety of Chat, itself.
  2. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

New Chat Rule.....
    The chat rules have been amended as below....

*Away -
    If you are signed into chat it is reasonable to expect you to be there, if you are 'away' for longer than 15 mins you risk being kicked from chat.

Staff will give you the opportunity to respond before kicking you, therefore if your 'away' status is to provide you with quiet haven amongst chat all you have to do is confirm your presence to avoid being kicked.

No one is going to Time you but if you are observed to be away for a long period then the staff may check to see if you are there.

See HERE
  3. I suggest that people stay out of the kitchen looking through your refridgerator. Supply beverages in a cooler next to your computer, because there is a chance you may be kicked while you are away from the computer.
  4. fooo

fooo Guest

silly rule! what should it be good for?
  5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Seems like more work for staff really, but not very useful.
    Although I have been in chat before expecting to talk to someone who was away and they didn't return the 2 hours I was in there, but I guess that is up to them.
    Sometimes though it can be a useful way of picking up PM's from other chatters while you're busy doing something else.

I'm wondering if there is any reason for the rule in terms of chat speed and lag etc.. It wasn't really explained why the rule was brought in and isn't really that self explanatory.
  6. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I was thinking the same thing. If there were a good reason for it maybe it would be welcomed more?
  7. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

Im only guessin and I could be totally wrong but I can imagine the rule might have been added because lately, Im sure u all remember, there have been a lot of times when we would come into chat and theres lots of members there but no one is talkin. This might not be so dramatic for us regulars who know the situation, however if newbies come in lookin for support, advice, etc they might be put off by the lack of response and if they hoped for help in the chatroom they dont get any.

I do like this rule, however I am not sure if 15 mins might be a bit too short, maybe 20-30 mins would be "better" but Im not too bothered really. I myself have spent some time in chat away and must admit its a bit pointless really :)

And like Hazel said, its still ok to "lurk" and just read rather than participate in conversation, so it should be all good.
  8. "We" as members, are not employed by SF to be counselors to people. Alot of us have moments where we may not be able to be as supportive. Basically, this new rule is a penalty, punishing us with the same consequence given to those who negatively disrupt the chat.
  9. ScouseJM

Please dont feel offended anyone, but... if ur not even reading the chat, if ur really away, whats the problem logging out and logging back in when u really wanna participate or read?

10. The problem is that people shouldn't be "kicked" for not talking. Alot of the time when my status is set to "away", I am reading it while talking on MSN or reading websites. Alot of people would be annoyed if they got "kicked" while multi-tasking. "Kicking" ought to be reserved for use only for troublemakers. Quiet people are not troublemakers.
  11. ScouseJM

But please remember what Hazel said, someone will ask u if ur there and if u are and just reading chat rather than talkin, then u wont be kicked. The rule doesnt say that we're not allowed to not talk anymore, its really for those who arent there AT ALL.
  12. nagisa

But what about people who have the sound turned off in chat? They wont know that they are being warned about it...

13. The other problem is that if people are away to the kitchen, the bathroom, etc, it doesn't help for them to be kicked from chat.
  14. ScouseJM

Thats what the rule is for? We all know now this is how it works now, so if ur gonna be away from the computer for some time then just log out?
  15. nagisa

I just don't understand what the big deal about people being set to away is. It isn't harming anyone. There is no reason for them to be kicked from chat.
  16. ScouseJM

1. u take more than 15 mins when u go to the toilet??

2. Im sure that when ur in chat and u plan on goin to make some food which will take somewhat 20 mins or so, u could just say it before u go?

Sorry I still dont understand the problem. Im out :)
  17. nagisa

Even if everyone was against the rule would they even change it?

18. If someone is quiet for 13 minutes, leaves for the bathroom, then leaves the bathroom five minutes later, and returns back to the computer at 18 minutes from the moment of departure from computer to the bathroom, they shouldn't have been kicked during that time.
  19. ScouseJM

I doubt the chat mods are gonna be sittin there with a stopwatch :laugh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.