New here, but not new to blue

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Char1, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Char1

Char1 New Member

I'm new to the forum, just looking for a place to post my feelings where they can be seen and heard by others who can relate.
    I've been suicidal off and on for much of my life.

Lately I've been struggling a bit more than usual, and have a plan.

How do you fight the urge to follow through?

Thanks for your help.
  2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Char, welcome to this community. I think its a very caring and good one. You ask how do you fight the urge. I can suggest 2 things. First, post as much as you want here. Many people here have felt what you speak of. Some feel it right now. Together we fight the urge.

The other thing i wanted to mention is counselling or therapy. Are you able to be in therapy? For many people therapy and even some medication helps. So I was curious if you do any of that.

I am really glad you are here. Dealing with these urges normally is bad enough. But add to it the stress of the holidays. It can be way too challenging to handle alone. So we are a a community! Still, many of us get irl also to stay alive. To help fight the urges. And we turn to this wonderful community. You can say as much or as little as you want. And you also can start a diary to get your feelings out. The diaries are eiter public or privat. You get to choose. Either way, no one gets to answer your diary thread. I am very glad you are here. You arent alone anymore.
  3. LostInMyDaydreams

LostInMyDaydreams Well-Known Member

Char: welcome to the forum! Indeed your not alone and I'm glad you decided to join here. Trust me your not alone. Feel free to come to the chat room too if you ever feel lonely or need someone to talk too. Everyone is very friendly here, so you'll feel safe here to post about your feelings. :butterfly5:
  4. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

hi Char,

welcome to the forum. i too have been depressed for most of the last 27 yrs of my life. for me ... to fight the urges i have tried meds and counseling as flower suggested. the one counselor i liked my insurance will not pay for and the one psychiatrist i liked got deported back to him native country so i'm not able to see either of them anymore and my husband has decided none of the others are beneficial therefore i cannot see any counselor or psychiatrist. as a result, i have fallen back on relaxation techniques, coping skills, distraction, and when all else fails.... trying to force myself into sleep.

for relaxation methods you may look at this site: or this one:

for coping.... i have done stuff like writing poetry, journaling, walking, positive thinking, thought modification (where you replace bad memories with good memories -- not made up ones but good memories you already have of the same person/event that caused the bad one)... any kind of creative art or hobby or music is good

distraction -- anything that is healthy for you to do (ie wont let you or anyone else get hurt in any way) and takes your complete focus off what you were thinking about and onto another subject/action
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.