new here

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by james michael, Jul 14, 2016.

1. james michael

james michael New Member

I am 47 years old, I have been in the mental health system since I was 8. as I am getting older clinical depression is getting harder to deal with and manage. On October 5th 2015 my last friend took his own life in a residential treatment facility for mentally ill people, he was the 6th person in my life to have done so since 2005, I am the last one left so I am sure I am not far away. We all had known each other in various institutions through out our lives, always keeping in touch, always checking in on each other and helping when we could but one by one we just could not keep it away. Suicide for people like us was never thought out, never planed, there was no date, no method just a spontaneous action that eventually got us. <mod edit - mehtods> and all of these actions have left me with physical scars and disabilities see there was never a cry for help.
    Now, here I am crying for help on a computer..........this is how we do mental health now?
    Please download the app......
    have you been to our website.......
    could you please check the boxes........
    the soonest we can get you in for am evaluation is 45-90 days..............
    no, I am sorry I am not accepting new clients....................
    if you are suicidal you will have a difficult time getting help in Colorado, we are 7th in the nation for rates of suicide, best of luck!
    yes suicide is a tough one I wish you the very best............
    all our operators are busy at the moment..........

These are all real responses from professionals if the fields of psychology and psychiatrists, and I have insurance which covers mental health services.
    so, everything is done one computers now, no face to face, no sit down with a therapist, all virtual mental health. it makes me sick to my stomach and angry as hell that there is a total lack of empathy and concern for people in crisis all we can do is fucking blog about it?

I am just going to stop right here as I am getting pissed and my spell check is going to break
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have to fully agree that here is not enough help available for people with mental health issues, it's still considered a taboo subjects but hopefully slowly we will get there. Anyway this forum is a great resource to have because it's a great source of support from like minded people. I am very sorry for all of your losses. Please keep telling us more about yourself and we will try and help. I'm sorry I cannot do more than that but at least it's something. welcome again :)
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

This is not therapy - here all we are is other peopel with similar issues that sometimes can share ways we have found to cope when the system has failed us, or ways to make the system work when it it seems intent on ignoring us. Peer support is just peopel in a similar situation offering support and companionship- it is not mental health treatment. Sadly, far too many have endured similar experiences as you have in trying to get help. The real issue is persisting- and yes - it may take 45 days or 90 days ion some places- but starting today makes that happen sooner then blowing it off as "too long" because the reality is things seldom get better on their own and in 45 or 90 days you may get help- or you may still be saying it is too long so am not going to bother to try to sign up.

In the end we are all responsible for our own thoughts and actions. Getting help is a good start when we can, but ultimately peopel getting help (ie already in the mental health system) also still kill themselves as you mentioned - so it is not just help from others, it is a willingness to look at ou lives and the way we react to things and deal with the way we react to them.
    Jenumbra likes this.
  4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Like Jmpmaster said, we are just people here. There are no professionals. Just people who have experienced, or are experiencing the hell that is mental illness. And since we are or have experienced, sometimes we bring a different perspective than the professionals. Because we have all felt what it is like. I hope you will stay with us. Post here, share your story, and visit the chat room. Hopefully, you will find what the site has to offer helpful.
  5. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I understand that you are in pain. Getting medical help and waiting for it is even harder. We here suffer our own issues everyday but we share and help eothers with our own experience. We can help you in a text format. You will realise that others across the world are willing to help YOU. Take care and be safe.
  6. james michael

james michael New Member

yeah sure
  7. Helen Miller

Helen Miller New Member

Hello everyone, Another newbie to this forum:)
  8. sahel

sahel SF Supporter

Hello to both of you, welcome
  9. mentalhealthnurse

mentalhealthnurse Well-Known Member

I agree, the computer age is not all it's cracked up to be. it limits us and frustrates us more than it helps us. In an online community of thousands you may ultimately still be alone. However, in the midst of the faceless people on this site, I have found many little angels working tirelessly to welcome new members and support the new and desperate who seek something here. In a big lonely world where it may feel that no-one cares or understands, there is a smaller world here where it seems people do care.

I feel the same frustration with mental health services and their lack of accessibility. I work for one such service and it kills me when I can see what someone needs but know that they will wait months for the help. I'm put off seeking the help I need because I don't feel I have time to wait. But the help here is right now and from real people who over and over prove that they understand. I've only been using this site for around a week and I've read so many things that have me saying "Oh my God thats what I've been thinking for years".

Try not to be frustrated, try and make the best of whats here now. Keep talking.