New Here

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by kimnovak, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimnovak

kimnovak New Member

I have a couple questions. First one is I have an attempted suicide on my medical record. However, I wasn't trying to kill mself I was trying to get to the hospital so they could help me. Anyways, Is there a way to get it off medical history? does it go on a crimnal history? I am trying to go to school to be a teacher and I don't know if this will allow me to or not. Any advise would be great.
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

hi and welcome. hmmm not sure how to answer...all i can suggest is that maybe you speak to your doc and ask him/her directly. i dont see why it would go on a criminal record unless you were committing a crime at the time. even if its on your med records, it shouldnt be a prob unless a medical record check is required, cant see why they would need to check your medical records and unless you are specifically asked i dont see why you should feel obliged to disclose it to anyone. no reason why you cant be a teacher unless you are unstable and likely to be a danger to yourself or others. maybe check with local citizens advice. sorry cant help more but good luck.

the other thing would be it may not be ethical to remove it from your records as it would be hiding or ignoring a condition at the time, so i would be v surprise if you could get it removed, no matter the reason for your actions...sorry
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  3. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Welcome to the forum.
    Firstly i dont know where you are from, but in the Uk it certainly wont go on your criminal record but of course it will be on your medical record.
    I work with children, best thing you can do, is be honest and open, i have to say, i have never been asked to disclose my medical records in regard to my work with kids.
    As long as you are safe, thats all that matters.
    Stay strong and safe and loved, please.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  4. Hi and welcome to the forum..

As far as i know, if it's a normal medical problem like: stomach flu or some virus, your medical record will be gone in 3-5 years time.. But if it's a psy problem, i don't think the medical record will be deleted in years.. It will be there, only to be updated by a psychiatrist whether you have recovered from it or not.. Please consult your local hospital and ask them about it.. If you want to be a teacher, then go to a psychiatrist and ask him/her to certify that you have recovered from suicidal thoughts and you are mentally fit..

** ex-medical student in singapore**
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.