New job anxieties..

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SadDude87, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

I'm not a people person, unless it is with those I am comfortable around.

Anyway my new job is pretty pressured, and I'm on the phone a lot. On the phone I have terrible anxiety.

I'm so focused on how I sound, what others are thinking of me etc, how they are judging me that I cant take bookings. My mind goes blank. I hear the words they are saying, but my brain just doesn't compute what they actually want.

I don't know how I am going to manage... I need this job because it does provide me with good connections ....Any advice?
  2. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

i expect this feeling will pass in time, soon it will be no harder than posting here.
    in the meantime just think about why you need this job, if it gets too pressured then just get away from your desk for 5 mins.

sorry i can't be more helpful
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

write everything down, including what you say and what they say...

if you have to ask the same things over and over, like their name and telephone number write that down on a checklist and keep it by the phone and then just look at the list when you talk to them. if you miss something, just laugh and say, for instance, i'm sorry, could you repeat your name? i work as a receptionist, so i take loads of messages and i use these tricks. i also repeat everything back to them - okay, your name is.... your company is... and your phone # is... is that right? nobody minds repeating themselves as long as you are nice about it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.