New law in the UK. Emotional abuse to be made a criminal offence.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

A person convicted of "coercive control" could face a 14-year prison sentence under a shake-up of domestic abuse laws.

Home Secretary Theresa May is expected to announce new powers which will put psychological abuse on a par with physical violence.

It will criminalise for the first time those who use controlling behaviour, as well as violence, to subject their partners to a life of misery.

Here's the news article link http://news.sky.com/story/1378584/emotional-abuse-to-be-made-a-criminal-offence

I think this is great and it's about time they are taking it seriously as emotional abuse is just as damaging as physical abuse. I think this law if this turns out to do a wealth of goodness it'd be a good idea to be implemented everywhere.

What are ye're thoughts on this?

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Definately Petal, as my signature states

You don't have to beat someone to make their life hell, scaring the crap out of them in the process

Is there an epetition to that effect?

If there is not I will submit one; I'll go & check now & I'll post the link so you can sign when it is approved in a few days time.

3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Oh of course, it has already been proposed & Theresa May is considering implementing the offence onto the statute book No need to submit an epetition then

Thanks for posting Petal :hug: :hug: :hug:

4. Petal

That is awesome twocky. And I completely agree. Although this should have already been a law I'm just glad someone is willing to do something about it :)

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

In Claire's case DV (physical/emotional) was not seen as a police matter back then; just a disturbance to be visited & after both parties had calmed down the police left

6. Petal

That's terrible about what happened to Claire,he shouldn't have been allowed to do that :( Do they not believe that constant emotional abuse leads to illnesses and so many mental illnesses, mental abuse might not be obvious but suicide is, excuse my french here but I'm glad someone has stood up and has the balls to bring a law into it. One thing though, I think it may be hard to prove it unless diagnosed with PTSD etc... that might be a problem but I hope the 14 year prison term will act as a deterrent.

Give Claire bear a hug from me :)

7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Leery of this it's he said she said case, anyone can be accused of emotional abuse or cry wolf?

8. Petal

Unfortunately even in serious abuse cases it can come down to he said/she said, they need witnesses otherwise anyone can accuse anyone, it sounds messy to implement it but for the true cases that can be proved then great :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.