New medication nerves - Cymbalta

maggierose

Not something I'm new to but after a year and a half of severe side effects to various types of medications, I was finally able to muster up the courage to collect my prescription for Cymbalta aka Duloxetine that my doctor gave me earlier in the month.

I'm terrified, I would be so grateful for some kind words at this time, I will be starting tonight on 30mg and stopping my previous anti depressant completely. I'm hoping this one will be 'the one' to help combat my chronic depression and anxiety. I've had no success with many different medications and when you are part of the minority(supposedly) and being told by your doctor "but this works so well for other people/no one else experiences these sort of side effects." - it just heightens the feelings of anxiety, I so so want to get better and live.

Maggie.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Not something I'm new to but after a year and a half of severe side effects to various types of medications, I was finally able to muster up the courage to collect my prescription for Cymbalta aka Duloxetine that my doctor gave me earlier in the month.

I'm terrified, I would be so grateful for some kind words at this time, I will be starting tonight on 30mg and stopping my previous anti depressant completely. I'm hoping this one will be 'the one' to help combat my chronic depression and anxiety. I've had no success with many different medications and when you are part of the minority(supposedly) and being told by your doctor "but this works so well for other people/no one else experiences these sort of side effects." - it just heightens the feelings of anxiety, I so so want to get better and live.

Maggie.
Hi Maggie Rose, I certainly know how you feel, I was down that road of changing medications a lot waiting for ''the one'' and to be fair it did come along, the best anti depressant for me was mirtazapine. I have tried cymbalta but cannot remember too well how it affected me as there's been so many but yeah different medications affect people differently. Best of luck on trying this one and I truly hope it goes well for you and that you don't get any unwanted side effects. Wishing you the best,please keep us updated :)

maggierose

Maybe this will work, but if not, there's still other things to try.

Wishing you the best!
Thank you May71!

Hi Maggie Rose, I certainly know how you feel, I was down that road of changing medications a lot waiting for ''the one'' and to be fair it did come along, the best anti depressant for me was mirtazapine. I have tried cymbalta but cannot remember too well how it affected me as there's been so many but yeah different medications affect people differently. Best of luck on trying this one and I truly hope it goes well for you and that you don't get any unwanted side effects. Wishing you the best,please keep us updated :)

Thanks so much, I will certainly keep this updated, always hoping for things to get better. Really appreciate your kind words.

Luoma

Need someone to talk to? I'm here!
SF Supporter
Hey Maggie, I just want to say I wish you the absolute best! Remember that if there's any drastic mood changes - such as anxiety, like you mentioned - know it's not you and it's the meds speaking. Stay safe, alright? I truly do hope that this is the one for you! I'm so proud of you for going and getting the prescription, it's a really brave thing to do. So so so many good wishes to you right now. < 3

maggierose

Hey Maggie, I just want to say I wish you the absolute best! Remember that if there's any drastic mood changes - such as anxiety, like you mentioned - know it's not you and it's the meds speaking. Stay safe, alright? I truly do hope that this is the one for you! I'm so proud of you for going and getting the prescription, it's a really brave thing to do. So so so many good wishes to you right now. < 3
Luoma thank you so much for your beautiful touching words <3 I can't tell you how much that means to me, and certainly something I needed to read tonight. This is the only place I have to talk about things like this and not only am I not being judged but you all understand as well. I feel at home and safe here.

This community is incredible and every single person on here is so special.

Fourth night of medication, I have got some unpleasant side effects but nothing as bad as the numerous times over the last year I have tried to come off Zoloft with other meds. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Constant feeling of nausea and stomach pain so drinking lots of fresh mint tea, yesterday I woke up and felt drunk until the evening which was rather strange. Aside from that I'm not experiencing extreme emotions (not yet at least) I'm slightly more teary perhaps, just trying to take it one hour at a time right now.

Luoma

Need someone to talk to? I'm here!
SF Supporter
Luoma thank you so much for your beautiful touching words <3 I can't tell you how much that means to me, and certainly something I needed to read tonight. This is the only place I have to talk about things like this and not only am I not being judged but you all understand as well. I feel at home and safe here.

This community is incredible and every single person on here is so special.

Fourth night of medication, I have got some unpleasant side effects but nothing as bad as the numerous times over the last year I have tried to come off Zoloft with other meds. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Constant feeling of nausea and stomach pain so drinking lots of fresh mint tea, yesterday I woke up and felt drunk until the evening which was rather strange. Aside from that I'm not experiencing extreme emotions (not yet at least) I'm slightly more teary perhaps, just trying to take it one hour at a time right now.
Hey Maggie, I'm so glad that I was able to help! You deserve every single positive word and more because you are just such a sweet person. I'm also super glad that SF is helping you! That's what we're here for.

And wow, the lessening in side effects is definitely a good thing! Tea is always a good thing to heal both the heart and the body, and I guess the other weird side effects will just happen! Everyone's body is different, after all. :)

I also just want you to remember; being positive is already winning half of the battle. Having trust in the medication can help it do its job. Mainly because the brain is just silly like that. :p Anyways, good luck in our continued use! As always, I wish you the best! If you'd like, keep me updated, okay? <3

maggierose

Hey Maggie, I'm so glad that I was able to help! You deserve every single positive word and more because you are just such a sweet person. I'm also super glad that SF is helping you! That's what we're here for.

And wow, the lessening in side effects is definitely a good thing! Tea is always a good thing to heal both the heart and the body, and I guess the other weird side effects will just happen! Everyone's body is different, after all. :)

I also just want you to remember; being positive is already winning half of the battle. Having trust in the medication can help it do its job. Mainly because the brain is just silly like that. :p Anyways, good luck in our continued use! As always, I wish you the best! If you'd like, keep me updated, okay? <3

Thank you Luoma, it's wonderful to meet you and talk. You are an absolute sweetheart. I will most certainly keep this updated as the days go by. Hugs.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I had great luck with one called Imipramine. It's a tricyclic antidepressant. Was feeling a lot better until the allergic reaction set in. Rash all over my body. But if you haven't tried it, you might want to.

I had great luck with one called Imipramine. It's a tricyclic antidepressant. Was feeling a lot better until the allergic reaction set in. Rash all over my body. But if you haven't tried it, you might want to.

Thank you, I haven't tried that one yet but I have heard of it - no doubt if this one doesn't work I'll be given something else, another option to consider at least. :)

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi - here's a secret. Cymbalta is the best.

It gave me heartburn which they SWORE wasn't possible.... but it did. But it worked great. Excellent in fact. So well that I never took another antidepressant again. lol Seriously. I've been off them for years now. (it's a cousin of Prozac, which was also a beautiful med for me)

Best wishes to you. Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

maggierose

Hi - here's a secret. Cymbalta is the best.

It gave me heartburn which they SWORE wasn't possible.... but it did. But it worked great. Excellent in fact. So well that I never took another antidepressant again. lol Seriously. I've been off them for years now. (it's a cousin of Prozac, which was also a beautiful med for me)

Best wishes to you. Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Wow that's great! And thank goodness I'm not the only one with the heart burn thing, since I started, I have had it constantly - day and night. I'm so glad to read your post, I've had two very testing days emotion wise, very teary and overly sensitive. I hope that as the days go by that will stop, I feel like an hormonal teenager at the moment. It certainly gives me much hope that someone else has had great success with Cymbalta. Thank you! :)

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi. Interesting about the heartburn thing. It's not even listed as a side effect! And those jerks just swore it couldn't *possibly* be the med but it sure was. People thought I was nuts. Did it 20 minutes after I gulped it down every day. It went away accentuate though...can't recall how long that took though. I feel like it was a while... like more than a couple days. Maybe a month?

You keep hanging on there with that ok? Everything is gonna be alright. I know it's tiring to keep playing these games but it's still better than feeling worse all the time. (That made no sense, did it? Hard work to do this at times vs feeling extra super crappy every day all the time) So keep it together darlin' & get outside or make a nice meal or watch a good movie. Do something nice for yourself. It's all working out. You're ok. XO

maggierose

Hi. Interesting about the heartburn thing. It's not even listed as a side effect! And those jerks just swore it couldn't *possibly* be the med but it sure was. People thought I was nuts. Did it 20 minutes after I gulped it down every day. It went away accentuate though...can't recall how long that took though. I feel like it was a while... like more than a couple days. Maybe a month?

You keep hanging on there with that ok? Everything is gonna be alright. I know it's tiring to keep playing these games but it's still better than feeling worse all the time. (That made no sense, did it? Hard work to do this at times vs feeling extra super crappy every day all the time) So keep it together darlin' & get outside or make a nice meal or watch a good movie. Do something nice for yourself. It's all working out. You're ok. XO
Yes how utterly bizarre! It has seemed to ease off, the first few days I was feeling very sick from the constant heartburn. I really appreciate your well wishes and checking to see how I'm doing, I think I could probably do with getting a couple things off my chest tonight.

I'm really struggling to be honest, slight back story but I have always suffered from uncontrollable bouts of anger and dark moods where I cannot be around other people because I am such a monster. Well yesterday and today, I am that X a million, I cannot remember the last time I felt this bad - I'm frightened of myself, I really am scared of what I want to do when I am in the height of anger. If it wasn't for that I would be doing OK, I seem to have a clarity and new freshness about my mind that I did not have before I started Cymbalta, I'm sharper and trying to plan things. I prayed so hard that I would wake up today feeling less full of hatred, but sadly not.

I can see clearly how I am behaving but when I suffer from any type of anger it's as though I am having an out of body experience, I've spent the last two days trying to focus my energy on other positive things in my life and even making checklists of what I have to be grateful for, and the fact that I cannot shake this mood is distressing because I do not want to be this monster.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I swear I wish I could help you with this one bit I struggle with this with my wife actually. She feels like you do at times. Often. And I don't know how to help her either! Sometimes the monster episodes are for times a week... sometimes it stretches for as long as 10 days before the next one. It's a total gamble. But I do know that she doesn't mean to do it & can't help it & that makes me feel slightly better. I don't hold it against her (too much) Does your family seem to understand you well?

maggierose

I swear I wish I could help you with this one bit I struggle with this with my wife actually. She feels like you do at times. Often. And I don't know how to help her either! Sometimes the monster episodes are for times a week... sometimes it stretches for as long as 10 days before the next one. It's a total gamble. But I do know that she doesn't mean to do it & can't help it & that makes me feel slightly better. I don't hold it against her (too much) Does your family seem to understand you well?
Oh yes this sounds all too familiar to me, I am very lucky that I have the most supportive Mum in the world who lives with me at my home and although she says she doesn't know the sort of anger I am feeling, she does everything to help me through it and understand - I cannot imagine how hard it is for her at times and there are days when it's hell and naturally it wears her down.

The most wonderful moment was waking up this morning and not feeling that anger, oh the relief! Usually when I wake up I know if my mood will continue for the rest of the day because it's not just a couple of hours - always days at a time. It's over for now and I am so grateful, I'm still a little teary but I'm doing OK, getting things done and working round it.

Like you say about the anger it is a total gamble, I never know when it will strike, and I never know what will -really- trigger it either. 0-10 in .1 of a second! Is there anything that helps your wife during periods of anger? Has she ever found anything that helps relieve it at all?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00