new meds

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Locket, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

the hospital have been talking to my therapist and have decided to put me on cipralex (say escitalopram on the box), though they've been unclear in telling me what for. i know they've said it is an anti-depressant but it says on the box that it's for anxiety disorders as well and all they've said about that is that my therapist is coming in to talk to me about that.
    has anyone been on ciprlaex before? if so, why were you put on it? and has it helped?
  2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I was put on Escitalopram 2 years ago for depression. I never suffered any bad side effects aside the usual nausea & dry mouth. It didn't really help me though & my med was changed a few months later. It's trial & error as meds affect everyone differently & just because they didn't suit me won't necessarily mean they won't help you.

A lot of anti depressants are used for depression or anxiety disorders, a few are used for eating disorders but I don't think this is one of them. From what I can recall, I was put on Escitalopram because it's viewed as one of the safest in terms of overdose. For this reason I think they are often the 1st anti depressant to be given to people but this probably varies in countries & different health boards.

I'm guessing that you'll be prescribed meds for the same reasn you are attending therapy & whatever you have been diagnosed with.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care, Claire xx
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.