New perspective and now what?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Astrid, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrid

Astrid Member

I don't come o this fourm very often,, fo rhwich I apologize. I feel very bad and depressed at this point. Yesterday (Thursday)my husban dand I were offered housing. We will be living together for the first tiem in our lives. The reason we didn't live together before is I'm institutionalized fo rmental health. Thing is, I've been in this situation with this institution for fiv eyears, and there is just no way the people here can help let alone treat me, but now that I'm getting desperate, I'm being old that I don't want treatment or anything. Well, I desperately do want treatment, bu t the therapist admitted she can't provide me the therapy I need. Ah, this is pointless. You're all going to tell me I'm overreactive, but I feel so desperate and depressed dealing with my various mental health conditions virtually without help, and then being told that I'm the client who gets the most help. Well then maybe I'm an untreatable case.

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Astrid. I'm sorry you are feeling so upset and things are not settled more for you. I don't think you're over-reacting because you seem to know what you need and want and they seem to be saying it's not available. And they want you to just fit in their system and you feel the system isn't meeting your needs. I think most of us would feel frustrated in that sort of situation.

I feel a bit confused, but I don't know how the system works in your country, so please forgive me...I am not sure how you would normally go about getting the help you want...Is it available if you stay where you live now? Do you lose access to the right care if you leave the place where you are living now? Is there a way to get the additional care if you leave - perhaps from another social service agency?

As I said, I don't know how things work there. Just know that I've read your post and I'm thinking of you. I really hope you can find some good alternatives!

3. Astrid

Astrid Member

HI, thanks for the support. Leaving the institution might actually open doors for me, since mos tplaces that treat my specific psych condition (complex trauma-related stuff) offer outpatient treatment only. I don't get thee right care here. I get virtally no actual treatment, and the nurses do try to support me but I hav eno day activities because they're too overwhelming due to my being autistic and blind as well. The staff say only an intellectual disability agency could provide me with enough support to do day activities, but I don't have an intellectual disability. My thhrapist is putting up hurdles to a referral to a trauma treatment center, saying that I don't want this trauma treatment (wrong) and that there are transportation problems (wrong and it's up to me to find transportation if I live on my own). There was a consulting center involved several years ago, and they would be able to help me find appropriate support, but they were dismissed saying I already had support. Now my team is going to ask for htem to come roudn again but t hey won't if I leave this isntitution. Kind of complicated, I know, but it comes down to I can't get hte right support here and I can't get help finding hte right support if I leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.