New plan to quit

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Deadtwice, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtwice

Deadtwice Well-Known Member

I have recently started a new plan to quit. I am looking for an accountability partner and a place to vent. Anyone else who has tried to quit understand what a good vent could do. So I apologize if I offend anyone in a rant.

Life's been a b recently. Fights in the home too much work. Just too much I want to cut right now but I will not let myself it's hot out and I have clean arms right now. :x I want too much and need so little.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hope you don't sh hun you keep you safe ok hugs
  3. Deadtwice

Deadtwice Well-Known Member

I am under control but my veins itch as they stick out of my forearms. I got to be good cause I got clean arms and a college interview this week.
    I got just a taste of blood today because of an explosive nose bleed. But now I am just primed. Grrrrrr
  4. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

Here are some things you could try to do, as they might help.

During an urge;

- Urge surf*
    - Watch TV or something that keeps your interest, intensely
    - Draw on the places you want to harm
    - Exercise vigorously
    -Check out ‘yin yoga’ – it genuinely hurts (or it hurts me, at least)
    -Throw ice cubes against a shower wall or bath tub, or squeeze them
    -Eat a chili pepper
    -Make something
    -Keep yourself busy

The general gist of urge surfing is where you tell yourself, “If I still want to self harm in 20 minutes, then I can.” In 20 minutes, re-evaluate your position and tell yourself, “If I still want to self harm in 30 minutes, then I can.” Keep doing this. Try to go to sleep – things seem less intense when there is morning sunlight.

More often than not, this technique will work. It’s worked for me countless times. We get lost in the moment so easily and we think that these feelings, these urges, these cravings are never going to go away. But they will. They will pass, just like every other emotion. We just need to give it some space and give it some time, and accept it for what it is. It is a craving. We don’t need to act on it just yet.

Urge surfing is a mindfulness technique – you can learn more about it or go into more depth here: SURFING.htm

Ask yourself these questions;

1) Why do you need to hurt yourself? What has made you want to do this?

2) Have you been in this situation before? What did you do to deal with it then? How did you feel about it then?

3) What are the things you have done that have helped you to ease the discomfort? What coping mechanisms have you tried? Can you try any more? What else can you do that won’t hurt you?

4) Will you regret this decision later on? How will you feel about it tomorrow? Do you still really WANT to do it?
  5. letty

letty Banned Member

Deadtwice its good to vent, I know how hard it is when you want to cut so bad but things life and stuations keep you from, sometimes I just feel my arms aching to be cut, but please keep trying not to , stay strong use the ice cubes on your skin to feel the burning cold , your interview is almost here. sorry for all the bad stuff happening to you at home, dont cut just vent
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.