New poll shows 4-way tie in Iowa as Ron Paul moves to top tier

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

The Iowa caucuses are just seven weeks away, but Republican voters in the nation's first presidential nominating state seem as torn as ever over the GOP field.

A new Bloomberg poll of likely caucus participants shows a four-way tie in Iowa, with Rep. Ron Paul joining Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain in the top tier of candidates. Underscoring the uncertainty in the race, 60 percent of respondents said they could be persuaded to back someone other than their first choice for the nomination.

The poll, conducted November 10 - 12 by the West Des Moines-based firm Selzer & Co, shows Cain in the lead with 20 percent, while Paul comes in at 19 percent. Romney wins 18 percent support, and Gingrich earns 17 percent. The margin of error is 4.4 percent.

While Christian conservatives have more influence in Iowa than they do in the rest of the nation, only a quarter of likely caucus-goers say social issues are more important this year than economic issues. As many as 71 percent say they're voting on issues like jobs and taxes.

The focus on economic issues has likely advantaged Paul, who is known for his strong libertarian views. The Texas congressman wins the most support, 32 percent, from likely caucus-goers who say they've made up their minds. Romney wins 25 percent of those who are decided, followed by Gingrich at 17 percent. On top of that, 69 percent of Iowa voters who supported Paul in 2008 are once again supporting him.

Just 41 percent of Romney's support comes from Iowa voters who supported him in the 2008 caucuses. More than half, 58 percent, of likely caucus-goers said support for a health insurance mandate (which Romney passed in Massachusetts as governor and which President Obama passed at the federal level) would "rule out" their support for that candidate.

Cain's standing hasn't dipped dramatically since revelations of sexual harassment charges against him from the 1990's came out. Still, 37 percent of Iowans are waiting for more information before deciding whether they believe Cain's denials.
  2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Who cares!?!?
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

What do you mean?
  4. lightbeam

The GOP is divided... so what... all of them are liars anyway... especially Mitt 'secret underwear, secret handshake, wanting to be a polygamist in heaven' Romney.
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

What did Ron Paul lie about?
  6. lightbeam

everything. All of them say that they are going to do something, but in reality all they want is 200 grand a year and a lifetime pension.
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

What? Lol. As if they don't already make a six figure salary and have a pension waiting.
  8. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

- Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
  9. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Darren Styles and Hixxy are also considered top tier, but they are both shite
  10. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

lightbeam you subscribe to the lazy system of America. "Oh I don't need to know anything about the candidates or do my civil duty as an American to be informed because everyone lies about everything".

Wow great outlook. Ron Paul doesn't lie about anything. He is the only candidate in perhaps the past 100 years to have absolutely no lobbyists come to his office because he rejects them all.

He is the only candidate who gives most of the money he makes back to the US treasury to pay off the national debt. He is the only candidate who doesn't participate in the lucrative pension plan all congress people get.

The man is more principled than anyone we have seen since the classical liberal era of our founding fathers. And all you can say is "everyone lies"? Really? Why don't you take 10 minutes a day for the next month and educate yourself on the candidates so you can do your civil duty and learn about who is good or bad for America.

I love how on veterans day everyone thanks veterans because it is the popular thing to do just like they spit on them during Vietnam because it was also popular to do. But hardly anyone actually cares about Veterans or the country for that matter. No that would require you to be informed so that when some slick politician fed you a one liner on Fox or MSNBC about going to war you would stand up and say no and know why we didn't need to go to war. Then maybe those Vets you spent a whole 10 seconds thanking once a year because it was popular to do wouldn't have to go to other nations to defend their borders and get killed or horribly wounded while you sit at home clueless about anything because "all politicians are liars so who cares" if the average American spent 10 whole minutes educating themselves each day on what the hell is going on in this country. Instead everyone watches American Idol and uses the excuse "all politicians are the same" as a reason why they never have to learn anything about their own country or what decisions are being made in it.
    <edit moderator total eclipse >
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
  11. Prinnctopher's Belt

12. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

He posts on the subject because he can, just the same as you post on the subject because you can. I wasn't aware that you had to care about something to post. Oh and you might want to look at where someone is from before saying they dont care about politics. I dont particularly care about Ron Paul as i am from the UK, much as the same as you probably wouldn't care about David (call me dave) Cameron and his communist butt monkey Nick (barefaced liar) Clegg.
  13. Edgar Roni Figaro

When someone makes a post in response to someone else's post and simply replies with "who cares" there is absolutely no point to even make the post. The very act of posting on the subject by responding with "who cares" is contradictory. He posts so he must care yet at the same time his words are there to suggest nobody cares.

So you want to explain to me what the point of such a post it? To mock the person who made the original post? To make the topic creator feel like what they are posting doesn't matter? Sorry but when your only words are "who cares" in some sly attempt to marginalize the topic creator you are guaranteed to get a harsh response. Lightbeam's post was rude and pointless as I pointed out above. The very act of posting on a subject shows one cares and yet his only two words are "who cares".
  14. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

anyone is better than obama.
  15. lightbeam

Thank you mister 'drawn out, can't shut up because I know what's good for America.'

I vote... I vote for Independents every year because that is the party I align myself with.

People chime in and say I'm wasting my vote! I'm not wasting my vote. I vote for my party, end of story.

As far as I am concerned both Repubs and Dems are liars. I don't need to educate myself because I've always aligned myself with Independents. And maybe someday the repubs and dems will make enough mistakes to allow the Independent Party to actually win.

Most people are just straight voting anyway... doesn't matter what issues are on the table. All repubs and dems are just monkeys turning a cog anyway.
  16. Edgar Roni Figaro

I'm an independent too. I voted for Ralph Nader last during the George Bush years and Ron Paul in 08. If you did your research you would realize while Ron Paul is running as a Republican (simply because the two party system dominates everything) he is actually a libertarian and has more support from Independents than any other candidate.

Ron Paul is the most uncorrupted politician in office today. If you are just voting for people based on the party they associate with and not based on their principles then you are just as big of a problem as the democrats and republicans you say are liars.

Individuals not parties are what we should be voting on. In what world can you say a man who refuses to accept any money from lobbyists and has voted consistently without flip flopping a single time on any subject he believes in for the entire 30 years he has been in public service is a liar?

It is precisely those kind of blanket statements on whole groups of people regardless of the individual that is responsible for the problems this country is facing today. Instead of voting for the best man or woman the average person is blinded by party allegiance whether that party is republican, democrat, or independent.
  17. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.