New Psychiatrist= New med

Hurtinginside

i saw a new psychiatrist yesterday. She was nice, listened well, and offered suggestions and wrote down things so I could do my own research.

She also said because I am borderline that she doesn’t want to give me false hope that medication will ever fully help me :(

It was hard hearing that. That I am always going to be “sick”

She started me on gabapentin as needed. Though I am not 100% sure when/why I am supposed to take it.

She’s going to call the local psych hospital to hopefully get me a psychologist through there since therapy is costing us a fortune :(

Over all the appointment was good and bad..... I am not sure how I feel.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
BPD is typically treated more with therapy instead of meds - that doesn't mean you won't got better. Honestly people tend to outlive the diagnosis, you know? There aren't many 60 year olds still hitting the guidelines for Borderline. There is always hope.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, I hope you can get to see a new psychologist in the hospital cos your therapy is an insane price so that is good news. It is nice that she listened well and it was a good appointment. I'm happy for you. But I don't agree that it means you will always be ''sick'' in terms of never getting better because you can learn new coping strategies every single day if you try hard enough. You'll get through this okay with good supports in place for you. I agree with @walker95 THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE.

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
It was hard hearing that. That I am always going to be “sick”
You are not sick. Is miles of difference in mental illness and a disorder. Most importantly- remember the reason meds can't help completely (most do not give any meds at all for borderline in my experience) is because are not sick/ is not something fundamentally broken / wrong with you. These are good things. Because you have a slightly unique or out of ordinary perspective or way of seeing things doesn't make you wrong or sick. Changing that perspective can also be done- is like any other viewpoint or attitude- it can change over time with experience and feedback- which can be sped along with counseling and therapy. But you are not sick/broken now- much less forever. You are you, and there is no shame in that at all.

Hurtinginside

I also have severe postpartum depression that seems to be treatment resistant. We have tried tons of combinations of meds since I got pregnant with my first.

The other diagnosis they are investigating is rapid cycling bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed with that in hospital after a suicide attempt but the psychiatrist I used to see didn’t agree with the diagnosis so it was never really looked into.

This doctor is requesting all my records from my inpatient stay and going to look at my DBT diary cards and me and my therapists chain analysis of my self harm.

I feel like for the first time atleast a doctor is trying.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I also have severe postpartum depression that seems to be treatment resistant. We have tried tons of combinations of meds since I got pregnant with my first.

The other diagnosis they are investigating is rapid cycling bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed with that in hospital after a suicide attempt but the psychiatrist I used to see didn’t agree with the diagnosis so it was never really looked into.

This doctor is requesting all my records from my inpatient stay and going to look at my DBT diary cards and me and my therapists chain analysis of my self harm.

I feel like for the first time atleast a doctor is trying.
I'm so glad you have someone who wants to really help you...
Sending hugs your way

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00