New psychiatrist question

Hello...I was successfully able to change psychiatrists. I was not comfortable with the previous one as she was quite condescending and actually made me feel worse about myself. Will be meeting with the new one in a few weeks. If he asks me the standard question as to whether or not I am suicidal and I tell him that sometimes I think that the only reason I am here is because 1. suicide would destroy my family and 2.: I fear death and going to hell, will he hospitalize me? I do not have a plan and quite frankly doubt I could ever hurt myself as I am a wimp, but most days going on like this feels impossible. No med will help with trauma, guilt, etc. I do realize this and I am in therapy,.
Thank you.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
No, I don't think he would hospitalize you for saying that. It doesn't sound like you're at any immediate risk and you've listed reasons to stay alive, so yeah...most likely not.

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
Realizing that meds will not help with trauma, guilt, etc., is one huge step forward. I have been down that road and now mostly free of fear. It was not easy, and takes commitment, but anyone can do it. The hard thing is no one can do it for you. I can encourage you, applaud you, and advise, and be happy to help. Read Beating Fear and see if you think it possible. Love and God bless.

No, I don't think he would hospitalize you for saying that. It doesn't sound like you're at any immediate risk and you've listed reasons to stay alive, so yeah...most likely not.
Thank you....would he report it to a family member such as my husband?
Realizing that meds will not help with trauma, guilt, etc., is one huge step forward. I have been down that road and now mostly free of fear. It was not easy, and takes commitment, but anyone can do it. The hard thing is no one can do it for you. I can encourage you, applaud you, and advise, and be happy to help. Read Beating Fear and see if you think it possible. Love and God bless.
Thanks...have you ever really hurt people that you love? I have due to my trauma...so I must not only forgive myself but the person who hurt me who is alive and well and enjoying life,
I also have an autoimmune disease that is disfiguring. As I knew ‘normal’ most of my life, this is debilitating and every day is a struggle. Cannot wait to go to bed so it will all stop. If not for the fears of death that I indicated in my original post, I would not be here. I would not want my legacy to be that of having destroyed my family....plus my husband said he would go right after me. I am trying to turn it all over to God but right now it is not doing much, I need a miracle as I cannot imagine ‘living’ like this for any true length of time.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hello...I was successfully able to change psychiatrists. I was not comfortable with the previous one as she was quite condescending and actually made me feel worse about myself. Will be meeting with the new one in a few weeks. If he asks me the standard question as to whether or not I am suicidal and I tell him that sometimes I think that the only reason I am here is because 1. suicide would destroy my family and 2.: I fear death and going to hell, will he hospitalize me? I do not have a plan and quite frankly doubt I could ever hurt myself as I am a wimp, but most days going on like this feels impossible. No med will help with trauma, guilt, etc. I do realize this and I am in therapy,.
Thank you.
wondering where you are. i have found that there is not much consistency in the things that go on in mental healthcare and that in the usa, there is a much smaller chance of being admitted against one’s will in a patient/psychiatrist setting although i did once get released from a monthlong hospital stay in NY and the next day saw my - at the time - new psychiatrist and in 3 minutes she was all ready to have me admitted again even though she knew i had just been released. i ran out of her office even forgetting my jacket. no one followed me and no one said hey you forgot your jacket!

but i also just attended a zoom nami meeting about getting the police out of the mental health emergency business and there were stories about those nonvoluntary hospitalizations. there must be much that figures in but i still think it is pretty safe with a psychiatrist.

but the psychiatrist (or other mh provider)/patient relationship as an employee/employer relationship too. the psychiatrist is your employee. it is ok before ever discussing all you mental health issues to find out how the psychiatrist will approach treatment and what kinds of situations would prompt her/him to be inclined to call for emergency help. i think that can be safely done at an initial meeting before you get into lots of details. you are actually seeing a psychiatrist to be able to stay out of a hospital, not to be admitted. hope this helps!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00