• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. I'm have macular degeneration and am having a hard time reading on this site (small fonts, black letters on dark green background). And I haven't yet figure out how to use it. I just ordered the book<mod edit >today, to that tells you my state of mind right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about your condition.

Most web browsers have a feature where you can zoom in the display, which will allow you to see the text a bit clearer. Try searching "zoom in" and then the name of the browser you are using online, or looking in the setting tabs. Or you could try using a screen reader or a reading view extension.

I'm sorry to hear you're in such a bad state of mind. I'm presuming you ordered some material that might be used to help you hurt yourself. A lot of people on this forum have been where you are now, and understand how you're feeling. Have you ever talked to a doctor about how you're feeling? It seems likely you're suffering with depression, which can be treated.

Try and keep yourself safe. *brohug

JDot

1 Peter 5:7
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Hey @seeking connection Welcome to SF. If you look at the top of the site and click "Theme Chooser", you can choose a look to the site that's better for your eyes. I'm sorry you're suffering. Just know we're here for you. Now that you've found SF, you'll always have a place here to share your thoughts and feelings. And there are a lot of understanding people here you can meet. We're glad to have you here.

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
Admin
SF Artist
SF Supporter
A warm welcome to SF and I hope you can find the connection that you are seeking. There are plenty of caring people in this community who are more than happy to listen and offer as much support as you need.

Please take good care of yourself :)

SillyOldBear

SF grey-haired bear 🐻
Staff Alumni
Welcome to SF @seeking connection. I hope you find some useful connections here. My dad had macular degeneration. That was back in the 80's. There was no treatment. I know others who have it now. They get shots in their eyes to try and slow it down. But it is a nasty ailment. Do take care of yourself.

Dante

In the SF doghouse with Burt
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hey, welcome @seeking connection to SF. I wrote this message out twice just in case, one in black, other in white :P
If you are viewing this on a PC there is a handy tool called a "Magnifier" that not everyone knows about, I know this because I work in IT and have been asked by other sight impaired people to install something like it and then I just show them its already there, as for colour differences, try highlighting the next with your cursor.

I hope any of the above helps, but either way, I hope you get what you need from this site and welcome again :)

Hey, welcome @seeking connection to SF. I wrote this message out twice just in case, one in purest black, other in whitest white :P
If you are viewing this on a PC there is a handy tool called a "Magnifier" that not everyone knows about, I know this because I work in IT and have been asked by other sight impaired people to install something like it and then I just show them its already there, as for colour differences, try highlighting the next with your cursor.

I hope any of the above helps but either way, I hope you get what you need from this site and welcome again :)

Thlanks for your response. I do use a hand-held magnifier but will try the one on my laptop. I think the people that created the site need to do some serious revamping regarding font style and size and colors. I loved the comments in green and orange above. They are great!

Dante

In the SF doghouse with Burt
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thlanks for your response. I do use a hand-held magnifier but will try the one on my laptop. I think the people that created the site need to do some serious revamping regarding font style and size and colors. I loved the comments in green and orange above. They are great!
You mean my signature? It gets attached to every post I make.
You mean my signature? It gets attached to every post I make.

Hey @seeking connection Welcome to SF. If you look at the top of the site and click "Theme Chooser", you can choose a look to the site that's better for your eyes. I'm sorry you're suffering. Just know we're here for you. Now that you've found SF, you'll always have a place here to share your thoughts and feelings. And there are a lot of understanding people here you can meet. We're glad to have you here.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about your condition.

Most web browsers have a feature where you can zoom in the display, which will allow you to see the text a bit clearer. Try searching "zoom in" and then the name of the browser you are using online, or looking in the setting tabs. Or you could try using a screen reader or a reading view extension.

I'm sorry to hear you're in such a bad state of mind. I'm presuming you ordered some material that might be used to help you hurt yourself. A lot of people on this forum have been where you are now, and understand how you're feeling. Have you ever talked to a doctor about how you're feeling? It seems likely you're suffering with depression, which can be treated.

Try and keep yourself safe. *brohug
Yes, they removed the name of the "how to" book I had ordered. I have depression big time, but a lot of baggage that has been imposed on me for many years. I'll try to put together some kind of statement for everyone--it's just hard to do when I don't know anyone. Thanks

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Yes, they removed the name of the "how to" book I had ordered. I have depression big time, but a lot of baggage that has been imposed on me for many years. I'll try to put together some kind of statement for everyone--it's just hard to do when I don't know anyone. Thanks
Take all the time you need to get to know and be known by others, all the time in the world here to become a part of the group.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
HELLO, @seeking connection - :)

I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL HELP (& I'M NOT "YELLING,") MERELY TYPING IN 'ALL-CAPS,' BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INCREASE THE FONT SIZE! ;) ...BUT ONE THING I USED TO ADJUST, WAS DOWN AT THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THE SCREEN, IS A PAINT BRUSH, SYMBOL (WITH WHAT SAYS: SF STANDARD) BUT IF YOU CLICK ON THAT, I THINK YOU CAN ALSO GET SOME OTHER THEMES -- SUCH AS 'DARK,' 'LIGHT,' & I FORGET, OR DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE. MAYBE THOSE WILL WORK, OR MAYBE THEY WON'T - IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE OTHER THINGS YOU'RE TRYING. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK & BEST WISHES!

SINCERELY, @MisterBGone :^)

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
HELLO, @seeking connection - :)

I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL HELP (& I'M NOT "YELLING,") MERELY TYPING IN 'ALL-CAPS,' BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INCREASE THE FONT SIZE! ;) ...BUT ONE THING I USED TO ADJUST, WAS DOWN AT THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THE SCREEN, IS A PAINT BRUSH, SYMBOL (WITH WHAT SAYS: SF STANDARD) BUT IF YOU CLICK ON THAT, I THINK YOU CAN ALSO GET SOME OTHER THEMES -- SUCH AS 'DARK,' 'LIGHT,' & I FORGET, OR DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE. MAYBE THOSE WILL WORK, OR MAYBE THEY WON'T - IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE OTHER THINGS YOU'RE TRYING. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK & BEST WISHES!

SINCERELY, @MisterBGone :^)
That can work. Being on a Mac, I use the Safari Browser zoom feature to increase font size and it does help a lot looking on a 40" monitor screen.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INCREASE THE FONT SIZE!
Hey Mister B, you increase the text size by clicking on the row above here with all the options in - where it says B, I, U, S, etc... and where it says "T", that's for "Text" and the arrow means it's to raise or lower it. So click that and you can adjust your text size. You can also bold it, italicize, underline, strike through, change the colour and font (all the options from left to right)

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi,
I'm sorry you're having trouble reading on the site. That's why we have multiple options for themes available - light letters on dark or dark letters on white. We cater the site to screen readers for the blind according to the guidelines available to us by using dark grey letting instead of black and putting it on an "almost white" background instead of white. There are always going to be people here and there that have trouble reading because of size, though. I'm glad you have worked that out using the magnifier.
Thanks @Dante You're great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$180.00
Goal
$255.00